Author Topic: Are these signature's by the same person?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Are these signature's by the same person?
« on: Saturday 12 August 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
I would be very interested to hear what people think of the below signatures - are the by the same lady?

The 1876, 1878 and 1879 examples are definitely by the same woman, Elizabeth Abberley (nee Simpson) the wife of John Abberley. The 1874 example is by Elizabeth Cato, the 'wife' of Charles Cato - I cannot find a marriage for this so I think they were only common law spouses. I believe that Elizabeth Cato was the woman who would go onto marry John Abberley, and the mother of my ancestor Charles Simpson. I have another thread regarding this mystery (A Cato Mystery), I though it was wise to start a new thread hear as I am mainly interested in what people think of the signatures.

Offline bevo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Are these signature's by the same person?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 August 17 09:07 BST (UK) »

I would say Yes, I think the E is quite distinctive...
Good luck!

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 August 17 20:52 BST (UK) »
Yes from me also.
sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 August 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
I wish she had written her full first name in all the samples to make it easier.  However, what stands out to me, especially the 1879 entry, is the bottom of the E.  She really makes a sharp angle.  This is done as well in the C in Cato (which I first thought was an L, it is so sharp) which leads me to believe that this very well could be the same person.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 August 17 22:53 BST (UK) »
It's a yes from me.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 August 17 00:26 BST (UK) »
It's a no from me.

The E in the earliest item does not have the straight angle at the bottom as the other three do.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 August 17 08:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your reply's, they are very much appreciated. So at the moment I have 4 people who believe the two ladies could be the same person, and 1 who does not. If anybody else would like to add their thought's it would be appreciated.