Author Topic: Roman Empire in the UK and DNA of the Roman Legions  (Read 8496 times)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Empire in the UK and DNA of the Roman Legions
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 August 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
The program about the "Crossrail skulls" is opening up new theories about the Romans in Londinium prior to and during Hadrian's reign. It's worth a watch.

Regards

Malky

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 August 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
John 915's final remark is crucial. As to the XIVth Hispana and the Iceni, they being Welsh must be nonsence. The Iceni rebellion was only 18 years after the Roman invasion. The British gave the Romans all sorts of trouble, the same as Judea. The Romans were hardly into Wales. The Silures (South East Wales) were big trouble and took a lot of beating. Some of them survived. I remember being on holiday there, and being bored with grownups went for a walk around Newport, Mon. Saw these prostitutes plying their trade and was surprised by their black haired beauty and olive skin. Signs of Mediterranean and Spanish ancestry. When the Romans first saw them, they must have had a double take.

The internal migrations in UK since then have admixed different races markedly.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 August 17 11:22 BST (UK) »
So you've met my auntie Bessie then?  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 August 17 11:25 BST (UK) »
So you've met my auntie Bessie then?  ;D

Skoosh.

Tee Hee,

You talking to me Skoosh? I wouldn't cast such aspersions on your Aunt Bessie.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 August 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
Here's a Silure. Mind you her daughter's children are all blonde blue eyed Aryans, ho hum.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 August 17 12:05 BST (UK) »

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 August 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
This blog has some good maps and info about Roman Britain, including some info about the Oxford University DNA research.
(It's an interesting site for history bits and bobs and the blogger is also interested in genealogy.)

abroadintheyard maps of Britain and Ireland’s ancient tribes, kingdoms and DNA
http://www.abroadintheyard.com/maps-britain-ireland-ancient-tribes-kingdoms-dna/
'...Scientists from Oxford University recently studied the genetic make up of modern Britons and were amazed to find that they still live in the same broad tribal groupings as their ancestors almost 1,500 years ago...'

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 August 17 12:57 BST (UK) »
Rena, briefly, on a post-card!  Pictavia didn't come as far south as the present border, the south of Scotland was the territory of the kingdom of Strathclyde, so Welsh speaking. These Britons were squeezed by the Anglian kingdom of Northumbria & the Vikings from Ireland. The Scots & Picts were united by Kenneth MacAlpine & Northumbria was defeated by the York Vikings who took Deira & the Scots & Picts took Bernicia post the Battle of Carham. The Scots king inherited Strathclyde thus uniting Scotland, leaving only a bit of territorial tidying-up taking territory back from Norway & getting the Northern Isles eventually from Denmark. Gaelic became the language of the whole kingdom for a time as the place-names testify, Galloway already Gaelic speaking. The Northern Isles excepted.

Skoosh,

Ta ever so   :D  That could explain why my not very common lowland surname that I've only taken back to late 17th century, is also to be found in Wales.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 August 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
The program about the "Crossrail skulls" is opening up new theories about the Romans in Londinium prior to and during Hadrian's reign. It's worth a watch.

Regards

Malky

Thanks for the pointer - I'd missed the programme but think I've found an online Channel 4 video.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke