Author Topic: Help finding William Hartley death  (Read 1224 times)

Offline feeline190

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding William Hartley death
« on: Saturday 12 August 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Hoping somebody can help me.

I'm trying to find when my great-grandad William Hartley, born 1855 in Blackburn, Lancashire, died.

The family were always led to believe that he was buried in Salford, however I have the grave rights and have found that he is not in that grave.

Nobody knew when he actually died, but I have managed to narrow it down to between 1932 and 1934 by using electoral registers.

I have used Lancashire BMD and there are several William Hartley's on there, none that I believe are my William Hartley. I have also used lan-opc.org.uk to try and help as they have the records for the cemetery where the rest of his family is buried. There is a William Hartley there that matches the age of mine but I do not believe this is him due to the other people in the grave. I have also looked through newspapers.

Short of ordering lots of certificates, is there anything anybody else can think of that I can look at to perhaps narrow this search down even further.

Thanks in advance.
Fee/Foy-Chorley/Blackburn
Holmes- Salford/Warrington
Hartley - Blackburn
Towler- Great Harwood/Blackburn
Rushton- Great Harwood/Padiham
Goulding- St Helens/Warrington
Whittaker- Blackburn/Great Harwood/Rawtenstall
Hargreaves- Blackburn
Fenn-Shorpshire
Rostron-Blackburn
Ashton-Blackburn

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding William Hartley death
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 August 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
Don't forget that electoral registers were sometimes compiled in October and effective from around February of the following year.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 August 17 18:58 BST (UK) »
Where was he living in the Electoral registers?

Looking at deaths in Lancashire for a William Hartley there is the following

William Hartley Dec 1933 Blackburn 8e 458 age 78 which gives a birth year of 1855.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Mary8

• --
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 August 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
Can you post details of the rest of William Hartley's family & where & when you last have them?

Mary :)

Offline BashLad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 August 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
Why do people ask for help but then not give enough detail for anyone to be able to help them?

In any case blackburn cem records are available at deceased online. You may need to look there. (there was a william hartley buried there in 1934).
WHITEHOUSE- Bromsgrove, WANE - Eccleston, TOWERS - Blackburn & Ribble Valley, COLLINGE - Rawtenstall, THOMAS - Penzance, Whitehaven, Haslingden.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 August 17 19:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry to say it Bashlad but your first comment in your post was a bit harsh and unecessary.

Folk post on the Forum looking for help, not criticism and if they don't give enough information it is possibly because they don't have that information or they don't know where to look or, in their haste to post they have forgotten to include.

If you ask politely whether there is any more information available, whilst it may slow things down waiting for an answer, surely that is better than putting people off ever posting again. Lack of information can be infuriating, I know but if someone is possibly new to the Forum they may not be aware of how much information to give.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline feeline190

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 August 17 20:05 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the late reply guys,

William Hartley born 1855 in Blackburn to Robert Hartley and Margaret Hindle. He married Sarah Emma Holmes born c1872(in Salford) in 1914 in Blackburn. They had my grandma Doris in 1915. I have Both William and Sarah on the 1932 electoral register living at 26 Cowell St. From 1934 onward there is only Sarah and Doris living at 26 Cowell St.
Sarah died in 1950 and is buried in New Row Cemetery in Blackburn. My grandma waited til both of her parents had died before marrying my granddad and my dad and his siblings don't know anything that could help.  This is all I know.

Emeltom- thank you for your info I don't believe this my William as he is buried at new row with people I cant link to my William and a Hartley bought the grave so i know it isn't a public grave.

Bashlad- I'm sorry if you found the information lacking but all I was asking was if anyone could think of any other sources of information I could look at. I did not expect anyone to search for me. Thankyou for you suggestion of deceased online I will have a look.

Feeline190
Fee/Foy-Chorley/Blackburn
Holmes- Salford/Warrington
Hartley - Blackburn
Towler- Great Harwood/Blackburn
Rushton- Great Harwood/Padiham
Goulding- St Helens/Warrington
Whittaker- Blackburn/Great Harwood/Rawtenstall
Hargreaves- Blackburn
Fenn-Shorpshire
Rostron-Blackburn
Ashton-Blackburn

Offline Mary8

• --
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 August 17 09:37 BST (UK) »
Deceased-on-line only has this one that matches
Hartley, William buried on: 20 January 1934   recorded in:   Lancashire

If your not going to purchase credits with them, i'd wouldn't bother registering with them as i can't see any benefits unless you pay for credits. It is only to up their mailing list & no more info can be gained without credits.

Mary :)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 August 17 11:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the late reply guys,

William Hartley born 1855 in Blackburn to Robert Hartley and Margaret Hindle. He married Sarah Emma Holmes born c1872(in Salford) in 1914 in Blackburn. They had my grandma Doris in 1915. I have Both William and Sarah on the 1932 electoral register living at 26 Cowell St. From 1934 onward there is only Sarah and Doris living at 26 Cowell St.
Sarah died in 1950 and is buried in New Row Cemetery in Blackburn. My grandma waited til both of her parents had died before marrying my granddad and my dad and his siblings don't know anything that could help.  This is all I know.

Emeltom- thank you for your info I don't believe this my William as he is buried at new row with people I cant link to my William and a Hartley bought the grave so i know it isn't a public grave.

Feeline190

Hello,

it would be worth purchasing the death certificate for William Hartley which shows during the right period.
If the New Row burial is the right age, have you checked the other people in that to see if there is a connection.
Did William and Sarah stay together, do you know for certain?
Was his job one that might take him away from home, so he could have died elsewhere?

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk