Author Topic: Uniform identification please  (Read 1059 times)

Offline George.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Uniform identification please
« on: Saturday 12 August 17 16:51 BST (UK) »
Attached is a photograph of Ernest Parfitt b1888 in Manchester in army uniform. The photograph was taken in Bangalore (printed on reverse).

I would assume that he joined the Manchester Regiment but have no evidence. Cannot find him in any army lists (assumed amongst those destroyed).

Any help in identifying Regt from limited visible information would be grately appreciated.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform identification please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 August 17 18:07 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Unfortunately the uniform gives us no information at all. I would say early 1900s pre WW1.

No doubt the experts will be along soon to look him up on different records to narrow down a regt. Not always simple as there could be several men with that name recorded.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 August 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry to disagree but those shorts date it to no earlier than WW1.

Also he wearing a wristwatch which was not often worn by men before WW1.

Offline canuckscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 August 17 16:33 BST (UK) »
The uniform is for a hot weather climate. Several battalions of the Manchesters were in India at the outbreak of WW1. They ended up joining the Egyption garrison in Palestine. It looks like an early WW1 jacket with pockets on the outside.
Caithness: Jack, Manson, Sinclair, Mowat
Inverness, Western Isles: MacDonald, MacAulay, Boyd
Lochaber: MacMillan
Sutherland: Nicholson

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 August 17 17:12 BST (UK) »
George - you have already discovered that there are no Ernest Parfitts with records containing family information that could identify him.  Ernest Parfitts do turn up on medal rolls for 1914-1918 but none of the Manchester Regiment.  Problem with identifying someone with no record and a uniform with no distinguishing marks is that there were any number of regiments and corps in addition to infantry that were in Bangalore pre-war in which men from Manchester are just as likely to have been serving. As John915 is indicating, which one is him cannot be determined unless the family have other clues?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline George.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 August 17 17:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your comments, gentlemen. It was a long-shot as I appreciated without any sort of insignia on display.
Unfortunately it will have to remain a mystery as there is only one daughter (90) remaining alive and she has no information to add.

Thank you again.

George

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 08:37 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the only insignia in the picture is on the side of the Foreign Service Helmet.  There is a patch on the side and it is a shame that the FSH is not side on.  The use of these patches was quite common by the TF Battalions in India and would rule out some regiments who did not wear such a patch but there are still lots of options.

Offline George.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 09:12 BST (UK) »
One final possible clue; my wife, Ernest Parfitt's granddaughter, says that she vaguely remembers one of her grandads saying something about 'being in Russia' when in the army. Her other granddad was in the Manchesters early on and then transferred to the Monmoutnshire Regt in Jan 1916, and there is nothing on his army record about Russia.
She was a very young girl at the time and cannot be certain that the memory is accurate or not, but it's something else to consider.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 10:50 BST (UK) »
I Googled British tropical uniforms WWI/1920 (images) and there were several just like your example, no badges and either with socks and puttees or just socks. This looks like the former. I think it's safe to assume this is WWI.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.