Author Topic: NSW: Thomas JONES, born c1832, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire  (Read 1337 times)

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
NSW: Thomas JONES, born c1832, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
« on: Saturday 12 August 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,

May I ask the impossible please ::)

Thomas JONES was transported aboard the Randolph and arrived at Port Jackson on 20/08/1849 and then assigned as a Ticket of Leave to the Wellington District.  He was sentenced to 7 years transportation at Stafford on 19/10/1846.   His father, possibly a Widower, was John JONES and he had a sister Ann, 4 years younger.   Their last known address was the Wolverhampton Union Workhouse...............PLEASE do not confuse with another Thomas JONES, also from Stafford and on board the Randolph, too, BUT sentenced on 06/04/1847 aged 23 (born 1824).

Incidentally, he had been imprisoned 6 times before transportation and could very easily be found in the criminal records rather than BDM ??? ???

I wonder if anyone can uncover any post-1849 details.

Thank you,

BAC3

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NSW: Thomas JONES, born c1832, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 August 17 03:11 BST (UK) »
Ticket of Leave cancelled 9 April 1853 - illegally absent from muster (Ticket of Leave butts State Archives NSW; Series: NRS 12202; Item: [4/4218])

1853 'DOMESTIC INTELLIGENCE.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 27 April, p. 3. , viewed 13 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article12945362

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 August 17 04:28 BST (UK) »
Bathurst Gaol entrance books for 1857 and 1858 have entries for a Thomas Jones placed in a cell for 24 and 48 hours for drunkenness. Ship is Randolph but arrival is shown as 1841, though I can only see one voyage for that ship, so may be an error. Other details are - can neither read or write; Native Place Birmingham; Protestant. Trade is unclear, something? maker. Another record shows him as a pipe maker

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 August 17 04:59 BST (UK) »
I think a Plate Maker (which would be a type of iron or metal worker ).

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 August 17 08:56 BST (UK) »
or could it be Scale Maker?

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 August 17 10:28 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Everyone,

Thank you for all the details.   I am extremely grateful.   I think you have unearthed the correct Thomas JONES, given he was a PIpe Maker and possibly Birmingham acceptable (only 20 miles from Wolverhampton.....a very short step in Australian terms!!).

My difficulty lies in not being able to access from the UK "local" records to view full entries, Bathurst Gaol, for instance, but certainly TROVE presents no problems.   Incidentally, the Randolph as far as I understand made the single voyage only in 1849.

Once again, thank you, and any further details you can uncover would be more than welcome.

For now,

BAC3

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 August 17 10:54 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify, the mention of "pipe maker" was not from the Bathurst Gaol records (which are on Anc***y) - I think I saw it here
http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/convicts/park15.html

I hope this hasn't confused things  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 August 17 11:18 BST (UK) »
To help separate the two Thomas Jones chaps ex the Randolph, please notice their closeness in numbering their tickets of leave, and remember that the districts of Wellington and Mudgee are still 'neighbours'.

Thomas JONES, tried Stafford, per Randolph 1849, Ticket of leave no. 49/0510, 24 August 1849 to remain in the District of Wellington, issued by the Wellington Bench. Prisoner no. 49/397.  The ToL BUTT is marked 'Cancelled 9 April 1853, Illegally absent from Muster, paper Ref 53/532. He had been tried at Stafford Quarter Sessions, 19 October 1846, sentence of 7 years.

Thomas JONES, tried Stafford, per Randolph 1849, Ticket of leave no. 49/0512, 24 August 1849 to remain in the District of Mudgee, issued by the Mudgee Bench.  Prisoner no. 49/401 (not sure if 401 or 400)  Tried Stafford Q.S. 6 April 1847, seven years.  No remarks on the margin of this butt.

I read the image as Plate Maker.   I am sure we are allowed to type Ancestry without needing asterisks.  :)  :)  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 August 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
A snip from the same page with Shoe Maker and Sofala for comparison re the word possibly starting with an S  :)