Author Topic: Help identify amateur teams, medals & hallmarks  (Read 949 times)

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help identify amateur teams, medals & hallmarks
« on: Saturday 12 August 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
This is a bit of a longshot I realise, but I’d like to try and identify the teams from these medals, and maybe from there I could (possibly) find out my relative’s association with them.

The person who left the medals said they were sports medals (it’s thought she said swimming but it was decades ago) belonging to Leonard Scott who was born in 1890 (so too old to have been a player, maybe on the staff, I don't think he was a teacher though).

The first one is I assume the East Riding County Football Association cup competition,  Junior mid week cup winners 1923-24. Hallmark: ? silver, Birmingham, 1922-23. I assume that team would have had a name, but I can’t find any reference to it. The only other place I can think of to search is the newspaper archive. I don’t have paid access but just by the headlines the competition does get a few mentions but I can’t find the winners.

The second is H&D.S.S.L 1922-1923. I had no idea what that meant but the closest match I could find for that acronym is  the Hull and District Sunday School Association Football League. But that could be wrong.
Hallmark WHH, silver, Birmingham, 1923-24.

I don’t know if the symbols in the middle of the medals have any significance?

The third medal is just a generic Hull coat of arms so it would seem impossible to identify anything from that. The only clue would be the hallmark: cashmere & co, silver, Birmingham, O. Could anyone identify the year from that? It’s probably either 1913 or 1939 but how you tell the difference I don’t know.

Thanks for any help, or of any further ideas of where to search. I feel the winners at least must be in some archive somewhere.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search/british-newspapers?keywords=hull%20and%20district%20sunday%20school%20league%20&page=1

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1924-01-01/1924-12-31?basicsearch=ercfa%20junior&exactsearch=false&retrievecountrycounts=false

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: Help identify amateur teams, medals & hallmarks
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 August 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
First one could be East Riding something Football Association - an eagle like that is on the badge of the Riding - and 3 crowns one above the other is the symbol of Hull, so that tallies

sorry searched before reading whole post! S for swimming?

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 August 17 22:00 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BashLad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 August 17 10:04 BST (UK) »
What's your relatives name that's been linked to the medals?
WHITEHOUSE- Bromsgrove, WANE - Eccleston, TOWERS - Blackburn & Ribble Valley, COLLINGE - Rawtenstall, THOMAS - Penzance, Whitehaven, Haslingden.

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 August 17 11:54 BST (UK) »
Leonard Scott.

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 August 17 11:56 BST (UK) »
an eagle like that is on the badge of the Riding

Thanks, didn't know that. The other one is a... shield?