Author Topic: George WOOD of Lye and others  (Read 1099 times)

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George WOOD of Lye and others
« on: Saturday 12 August 17 17:57 BST (UK) »
I am interested in the WOOD brothers, Thomas and George. 

I have a relation (Martha WRIGHT, nee BOURNE) who was visiting George WOOD in 1851, and am intrigued as to the 'relationship'  - blood relation?  She had been born in Lye, before moving to London, marrying and then returning without husband, but with 2 children in 1820's.

Had her son (Edward William WRIGHT) been apprenticed to them?  When he married in 1839 he gave his occupation as Blacksmith.  Were there any apprenticeship records, or was it all as wild as it reads?

Visited the Chapel in Lye yesterday and saw the memorials to the WOOD brothers , as benefactors in 1827.
Does anyone know the location of the WOOD Iron Foundry, other than just on Lye Waste?

Can anyone add to my knowledge/understanding of Martha WRIGHT nee BOURNE

Regards.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: George WOOD of Lye and others
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 August 17 00:41 BST (UK) »
and am intrigued as to the 'relationship'  - blood relation?

She is simply shown as a "visitor" whereas Hannah Hill aged 80 is shown as a "relation".  Perhaps she was a friend of Hannah Hill.

Had her son (Edward William WRIGHT) been apprenticed to them?  When he married in 1839 he gave his occupation as Blacksmith.

George's occ is shown as "manufacturer of chains"  Are you possibly reading too much into the presence of Martha as a visitor?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George WOOD of Lye and others
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 August 17 10:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, it is wonderful what 'independent' eyes can see.

I had assumed that Hannah Hill (80) was just George Wood's Housekeeper, as the 1851 census shows.  However, I had not taken 'relation' on-board fully.  Martha Wright (m, visitor, 56) is I think, the daughter of John Bourne and Mary Hill.  So - could Hannah Hill be Martha's maiden aunt?

Interesting too that Hannah Hill seems to be entered twice on the 1851 census, once with George Wood but also as a lodger with Lucy Bellingham and a seamstress.

Is this a co-incidence or was Hannah allowed to stay at George Wood's house while her niece was visiting her??  Or am I reading too much into it?

I am trying to find birth & death records for John & Mary (Hill) Bourne on Ancestry without success - not the rarest of names!  Any ideas?

Thanks again.