Author Topic: Thomas Gilpin and Jane Lowe  (Read 2525 times)

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Gilpin and Jane Lowe
« on: Saturday 12 August 17 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
Was hoping for some look up help.  I've been trying to track information on my great grandmother, Isabella Gilpin.  What I do know is that she was born in Armagh around Jan/Feb 1864.  She married Thomas Wilson in CT in 1892 and died in CT in 1915.  At the time of her death, the obituary stated she had a brother David living in New Jersey and a brother James living in Ireland.  I believe she also had a sister, Mary (McClennand) living in New Jersey although she wasn't listed in the obit.  She was admitted to the CT Hospital for the Insane in 1904 at which time her commitment papers state that her parents are alive and healthy.  I've been tracking a new lead that her parents could be Thomas Gilpin and Jane Lowe.  A birth records shows an Isabella born to them Feb 13, 1864 in Loughgall.  Prior to this, I was under the assumption her father's name was William but I'm thinking that is incorrect.  I traced the "William Veneer Gilpin" lead and do not believe it is my Gilpin's.  If anyone could check to see if there is a record of Thomas and Jane Lowe having additional children:  David, James, and Mary.  Or were they even still alive in the early 1900s?  I would appreciate that and any further info you might have. 

Thank you so much!
Laura

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Gilpin and Jane Lowe
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 August 17 21:12 BST (UK) »

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 August 17 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  The birth records are promising.  Also, I agree, it does look like Love which will help.  My Isabelle was in US in 1901 and 1911.

Thanks again for your help.
laura

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 August 17 22:31 BST (UK) »
Have you got her marriage? It should at least have her father's name.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 August 17 22:52 BST (UK) »
As you have probably already found, Manchester, Connecticut was full of immigrants from Co. Armagh, including one of our Wilson branches.  It is likely that Thomas and Isabella knew each other in Ireland.

This thread is old and talks about a couple of different Wilson families from the area in Ireland (including mine), but you will note that one of the posters has your Thomas married Isabella Gilpin, whose brother's name was Patrick and still living in Ireland when Isabella died in 1915:

https://www.ancestry.com/boards/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=9280&p=localities.britisles.ireland.arm.general

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 August 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
If the brother David living in New Jersey is the David married to Lillie than he appears to be William Verner's son, who I think is the family you ruled out.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1894/10568/5850076.pdf
Son David's birth
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/cert_amends/cert_1896/1823484a.pdf

I can't find the Portadown Patrick.

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 August 17 00:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks all...that old post was mine and I was incorrect about the brother Patrick.  Since then, I have established (from Izzy's obit:  a brother James, living in Ireland in 1915, a brother David living in Patterson, NJ in 1915), from some other research, I also believe there was a sister Mary who married a Richard McClelland on 12/25/1895 and lived in Jersey City (Richard and Mary raised Isabelle's youngest daughter, Maude, after Isabelle was institutionalized.).  The odd thing is Mary was still alive in 1915 but was not mentioned in the obit..so maybe not an actual sibling but some other relation??

I keep coming back to William Verner (Izzy's death cert seems to say, although difficult to read, that her father was "Wm".  But I can't make him fit...I don't see an Isabelle, David or Mary among William Verner's children.  And the dates seem off.  My Izzy has a dob that ranges from 1858 to 1864 depending upon what I'm looking at.

Really stumped on this one.  But my Izzy and her husband Thomas did come to Manchester, CT for the Cheney Silk Mills...it is a fascinating history.

Thanks again.
Laura

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 August 17 00:34 BST (UK) »
I haven't been able to find her Izzy's marriage date...Per census, etc...looks like they married in 1892, I assume in CT based on their separate dates of emigration.  I knew they lived in Manchester and found my grandmother's (Izzy's oldest daughter) birth cert in the Manchester Town Hall but was unable to find a marriage cert.

Laura