Author Topic: Help reading signature of witness on death registration  (Read 1787 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Help reading signature of witness on death registration
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 August 17 20:13 BST (UK) »
I think she means that the parents names given on the death certificate match with a birth in Channelkirk, Berwickshire in  1794. From Familysearch parents for this  birth would appear to be David Brown and Margaret Frater who had other children in Channelkirk, Lauder and Inveresk & Musselburgh.
I think Margaret is shown as born Borthwick, Midlothian in 1861 and 1871.
1861 at 695/4 55/17 Blinkbonny Cottage, Newbattle with one year old granddaughter Elizabeth ( born Newbattle)
1871 at 693/6 174/13 Drum Farm, Liberton .Some discrepancies with this one as Ancestry has her as Mary Smith born 1797 and FindMyPast has her as Margaret Smith born 1795. Can't find her at all on SP.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 August 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
this post has been removed
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Bosconermal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 14 August 17 04:22 BST (UK) »
Re Margaret Smith

Thank you all. Isobel got what I meant-- various censuses give Margaret's birth in Midlothian (Smeaton, Borthwick...) but the person on the death registration connects to someone born in Berwickshire. It's definitely my Margaret, though.

Thanks to Isobel I now have the 1861 and 1871 censuses. The Elizabeth with her in 1861 is her son William's daughter, born in 1859. Ancestry transcribes the 1871 census with the name "Mary". I had a look in the SP facsimile and I think it says "Marg" and they mistook the "g" for a "y". As for the age, the number is very blotchy and struck through to boot. It could be a 74 giving her a presumed birth year of 1797. The first digit is a 7, but you could make just about anything out of the second digit. I know know her birth year was 1794, so she was 77.
Smith (Midlothian, Scotland); Riddoch, Fraser, Tait, Stewart, McGilvery (Banffshire/Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
Foster, Stevens (Cambridgeshire, England); Adams, Knowles (Somerset, England); Smith, Manning (Southwark/Bermondsey, England)