Author Topic: Help reading signature of witness on death registration  (Read 1791 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help reading signature of witness on death registration
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 August 17 07:51 BST (UK) »

I would think that the curve of the first letter is facing the wrong way for the letter to be J, and the riser of the 'h' should lead from the loop at the top of the 'o' rather than the from the base line ... Maybe?  :)

Well, I am not super-confident about JOHNSTONE ;D, but I would say that if we accept the last syllable of the name is stone (which it may not be  ::)) and we just look at that, then the  rise to the next letter after the 'o' (which is 'n') emerges from the base line of the 'o'

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 August 17 07:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, maybe Sue .... I thought either the t looped down below the base line or the o may be larger and have a big loop. No idea really .... ;)

I still think an easier way to work out if this is the correct death is to compare her parent's names.  :)

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 August 17 10:30 BST (UK) »
The J of January looks to have been formed differently to the supposed J in what might be the name Johnstone.

On first glance I thought the starting letter was a G.

Keep looking for more evidence! 

A

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 August 17 11:23 BST (UK) »
The J of January looks to have been formed differently to the supposed J in what might be the name Johnstone.

I assume that one J was written in a signature and t'other by a registrar/clerk.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 August 17 12:51 BST (UK) »
I think it says Andrew Johnston(e).
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 August 17 12:55 BST (UK) »
Agree - Andrew Johnstone. The last e is quite small and tucked into the next column.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Bosconermal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 August 17 16:36 BST (UK) »
The deceased name is Margaret Smith, nee Brown. Her parents are not named in the parish record of her marriage to James Smith in 1813.
The 1841 gives her age as 42 and 1851 censuses as 57 so puts her birthdate between 1794 and 1799. If 1799 then she married at 14 or 15-- not impossible but not likely-- so 1794-ish and marriage at 19 or 20 seems more sensible. The census in 1841 in Temple, Midlothian only says that she was born in a different parish. The 1851 census from Borthwick, Midlothian has her born in Smeaton, Midlothian. Looking for her in Smeaton didn’t get me anywhere. I haven’t yet found the 1861 and 1871 censuses yet.

James Smith died between 1851 and 1858, but I haven’t found a parish record or statutory record of it yet. He’s an “agricultural labourer” in 1841 and a “farm servant” in 1851.

So here’s the evidence of this Margaret in 1874 being my Margaret.
The death register says:
1)   She was 79 so born about 1794 or 1795. Because her parents are given I can find a parish record of her birth in April 1794 so 79 almost 80.
2)   her husband is deceased
3)   her husband’s name was James
4)   James’s profession is given as “labourer”
5)   at the end of her life she lived in Gilmerton, Liberton, Midlothian. The 1841 and 1851 censuses put her in Temple parish and Borthwick, the latter just over 8 miles away according to Google maps.
6)   Her son-in-law lived in Straiton, maybe named Andrew Johnston/Johnstone.
7)   She had 9 children so far as I know, 5 of whom were daughters so five potential sons-in-law. I only know of the marriage of her youngest daughter, Agnes, who married Andrew Johnston in 1858. In 1871 they lived in Liberton; in 1881 they also live in Liberton but the “Road, Street & c.” column says they lived in Straiton. The Ancestry transcriber says their name is “Johnstone”. I looked at the census and it certainly could be “Johnstone”. It’s very clearly “Johnston” on their marriage register.
9)   I can certainly see “Andrew Johnston” or “Johstone” in the signature on her death register. It might be confirmation bias I admit.
10)   Andrew’s name looks to me to be in a different hand than the rest. It does have the same slant as the rest of the document (apart from the “cause of death” colum, which is more upright), but it looks heavier and more “flourishy” than elsewhere. If it’s a different hand that might explain why the “J” in Johnston/Johnstone differs from the “J” in January and James elsewhere on the page.

I think the preponderance of evidence suggests she is my Margaret. The only thing that makes me scratch my head is that the Margaret in the death register turns out to have been born in Channelkirk, Berwickshire which is a fair way from Smeaton, Midlothian. Can’t see how they could be confused.

Now onto James. He is the bigger prize because he is the earliest known ancestor in a straight patrilineal line, so finding him and his parents can push the YDNA line back further.

Thank you for all your help deciphering that signature. I couldn't see the name in it.
Smith (Midlothian, Scotland); Riddoch, Fraser, Tait, Stewart, McGilvery (Banffshire/Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
Foster, Stevens (Cambridgeshire, England); Adams, Knowles (Somerset, England); Smith, Manning (Southwark/Bermondsey, England)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 August 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
10)   Andrew’s name looks to me to be in a different hand than the rest. It does have the same slant as the rest of the document (apart from the “cause of death” colum, which is more upright), but it looks heavier and more “flourishy” than elsewhere. If it’s a different hand that might explain why the “J” in Johnston/Johnstone differs from the “J” in January and James elsewhere on the page.

Andrew would have signed his name. The rest of the certificate would be written by the Registrar/clerk.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 August 17 18:32 BST (UK) »
"The only thing that makes me scratch my head is that the Margaret in the death register turns out to have been born in Channelkirk, Berwickshire which is a fair way from Smeaton, Midlothian. Can’t see how they could be confused."

Plenty of things point to the right person but can you explain what you mean with the above please?

Are you saying that her DC gives this info?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"