Author Topic: Robert Marchant's first wife.  (Read 1052 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Marchant's first wife.
« on: Sunday 13 August 17 16:50 BST (UK) »
Robert Marchant died in 1877 registered Q4 Battle aged 81 giving a birth year approx 1796.  His birth parish was recorded as either Salehurst or Hurst Green in censuses but he was baptised at Salehurst on 28 May 1797.  He married Harriet Harmer at Battle on 20 April 1823 described as a widower, Harriet a spinster and both of the parish.

I have looked for an earlier marriage for Robert and found one to a Mary Buss on 15 Apr 1815 at Brightling, no record as to marital status, i.e. bach or sp or of that parish. If this is ‘my’ Robert he’d have been c 19 y/o which seems possibly a bit young. I can’t find a death for this Mary.

The other Robert Marchant marriage was to a Mary Ann Sargent at Battle on 28 Mar 1818, bach & sp, botp.  There is a burial at Battle on 15 Sep 1822 aged 23 (bc 1799) for a Mary Ann Marchant, the right time scale but she’s described as the wife of Thomas by SFHG!

I somehow don’t think there’d have been many Mary Ann Marchants at Battle at that time and I’m therefore wondering if this is a transcription error either at the marriage or burial.  Any thoughts please?

I’d also appreciate any help finding Robert’s first marriage if not one of the above or when either died.

Interestingly I can't find a baptism for his youngest child, Alfred bc 1838 but there is a baptism for an Alfred Marchant s/o Thomas at Battle in the corrected period.  All of Robert's other seven children were baptised at Battle.

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Marchant's first wife.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 August 17 05:17 BST (UK) »
I can't help with a possible earlier marriage, but just in case you don't have it - Alfred's birth was registered at Battle (07/175) Dec qtr 1837 (mother's maiden name HARMER).

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 August 17 05:23 BST (UK) »
I think the Robert MARCHANT who married Mary BUSS at Brightling is in the 1851 census at Brightling:

Robert Marchant    58    Brightling
Mary Marchant        57    Brightling
George Marchant    12    Brightling

HO107/1636 / 437

(Son George is registered at Battle 1838 Sept qtr, mmn BUSS)

So you can definitely rule them out.  ;)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 August 17 12:35 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant thanks.

I'd checked everywhere apart from GRO for Alfred's birth registration or baptism but couldn't find it anywhere.  That's one query I had resolved, I'd found the baptisms of all of their other children plus a couple of burials. 

Wood for the trees syndrome!   :-\  I hadn't thought of looking at the censuses for Richard and Mary at Brightling, thanks for that and one possibility eliminated.

Robert's first marriage still an enigma.  No likely marriages for a Thomas Marchant and a Mary in the local parishes where they don't go on to have children baptised beyond when Robert married Harriet.

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 03:42 BST (UK) »
You're welcome artifis.

Had a quick look for a Thomas and Mary too, but couldn't come up with anything that looked right, so I guess it could be a possibility that the marriage you found is your Robert. But I'm still hesitant to suggest it definitively. A tricky one ...  :-\

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
I guess it also might be a miss-transcription in the SFHG Sussex Marriage Index where he's described as a widower on his marriage to Harriet Harmer.

I suspect that the only way I'll be able to clarify the situation regarding transcription errors is if I bite the bullet and pay someone to check the original parish and BT records; that would either confirm the information I have or find transcription error(s) that put another slant on things.

It's definitely a tricky one especially as no other on-line sources have a marriage for Robert and Harriet but the children they have baptised at Battle as described as the child of Robert & Harriet.  Annoyingly frustrating!  :-\

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
What is the date of the baptism you have for Alfred MARCHANT son of Thomas? There is an Alfred born to Thomas MARCHANT and Sally BAKER in 1841 at Battle.

(Just trying to eliminate the possibilities you have.  ???)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 10:19 BST (UK) »
The date I have for Alfred's baptism in 1837 is 28 Jun s/o Thomas & Sarah however that can't be 'my' Alfred as his birth wasn't registered until Q4 1837 mmn Harmer.  I think Thomas' Alfred's birth was before the registrations started.

A Thomas Marchant married a Sarah Baker on 16 Jul 1832 at Westfield, just north of Hastings. Sarah seems to have also been called Sally according to the 1841, 51 & 61 censuses but Sarah again in 1871.

They had the following children baptised at Battle:

Jane 23 Jun 1833 d/o Thomas & Sally
William 30 Aug 1835 s/o Thomas & Sarah
Alfred 28 Jun 1837 s/o Thomas & Sarah
Lester - no baptism but reg Q1 1838 mmn Baber
Nelson 20 Oct 1839 s/o Thomas & Sarah mmn Baker
Alfred 30 Jan 1842 s/o Thomas & Sarah mmn Baker
Robert 24 Nov 1844 s/o Thomas & Sarah mmn Baker
Charles 07 Dec 1851 s/o Thomas & Sarah mmn Baker

I can't find a death registration or burial for the first Alfred which adds to the mystery.  I have sent for the birth certificate for the Alfred with mmn Harmer to see when he was actually born.