Author Topic: George Fielding Darley Dale  (Read 2124 times)

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
George Fielding Darley Dale
« on: Sunday 13 August 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
My ancestor George Fielding (b 1766) , died in his own bed in 1837 ( Visitation of God!)
However I have found a newspaper article from 1831 which describes how a George Fielding aged 66, from Darley was indicted and found guilty of stealing two sheep. The sentence was"judgement of death"   In the report the prisoner says his name is George Needham of Darley Abbey.
Is there any way that I can confirm which name is correct?
The age and location fit my ancestor, but as he died of natural causes at home I have my suspicions that it was mistaken identity. Either that or his sentence was commuted.
Are there any Derby assizes records available ?
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,
travis, gill, barker, fielding- derbyshire

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George Fielding Darley Dale
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 August 17 13:29 BST (UK) »
There is a record of 30th August 1831 which states that George Fielding the elder was to be imprisoned in the House of Correction for Eighteen months.

David

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 August 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
It is recorded in the criminal register that the death sentence on George Fielding senior was commuted to 18 months imprisonment.

Per the newspaper report, Needham was the false name he used when selling the stolen sheep. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 August 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you!
Can you tell me where you found the record that the sentence was commuted?
This is my first real black sheep, the Fieldings were generally well behaved nurserymen and farmers, although not particularly well off  :)

Edit - I have found it now, not too familiar with Ancestry - thanks for the heads up
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 August 17 16:17 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has a manuscript copy of a letter from Lord Melbourne to the Justices of the Midland Circuit confirming that their recommendations to mercy, for a very long list of prisoners they had condemned to death, had received the King's consent. This includes the commutation of the sentence on George Fielding the elder. The letter is dated 30 August 1831 so the correspondence between Derby and Whitehall and the palace must have moved along very quickly indeed.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 August 17 18:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shaun, don't know how I missed that on FindMyPast. Need to brush up my research skills!

Offline peramar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 August 17 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Ruth

Can you tell me if George Fielding married my 2 x Great Aunt Ann Hogg in Milford in 1860?  If so we must have a connection

Peramar
Derbyshire, Hogg, Booth, Smithurst, Hill, Beastall, Steer, Slack, Litchfield,
Cumberland, Fletcher, Storey,
Beverley, Swaby, Cope
Barnsley, Harper, Rushforth. Barker, Foundhere, Gelder, Headen.
Lanarkshire Hart, Caufield, McKeown

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 August 17 10:08 BST (UK) »
There are several George Fieldings in my tree (they kept passing the name on!) George 1 (The subject of this topic) died in 1837. His son George 2 married  Elizabeth Holmes  in 1834. His son (George 3) was born in Darley in 1840, but I haven't traced any more because it is not in my direct line. However I suspect that he died and was buried in Darley Dale in 1875.
My ancestor is Henry another son of George 1! :)

Ruth

Offline peramar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 August 17 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth
Thanks for the quick response.  George (son of George) baptised in Darley Dale 18 August 1839 married Ann Hogg in Milford 25 November 1860.  George was accidentally killed by a fall of earth at the back of Staincliffe (?) Hall in September 1875 and buried in Darley Dale on 18 September 1875 aged 36.
Peramar
Derbyshire, Hogg, Booth, Smithurst, Hill, Beastall, Steer, Slack, Litchfield,
Cumberland, Fletcher, Storey,
Beverley, Swaby, Cope
Barnsley, Harper, Rushforth. Barker, Foundhere, Gelder, Headen.
Lanarkshire Hart, Caufield, McKeown