Author Topic: Princes Risborough parish records  (Read 1728 times)

Offline JennMorgon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Princes Risborough parish records
« on: Sunday 13 August 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
I need help looking up parish records for Joseph Nottingham a shoe maker born in Kinsey in 1806.  Joseph married a lady called Ann, surname unknown,  possibly around 1834 or 1835.  Their first daughter Emma was born in 1836 and a second daughter born 1838.  Anne Nottingham died in January  1839 in Princes Risborough aged 28.   If anyone has access to the parish records I would be so grateful to find out the date of marriage and name of his first wife Ann.   Many thanks
Jenn

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: Princes Risborough parish records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 August 17 21:05 BST (UK) »
Fron BucksFHS. St Mary's, Princes Risborough Transcripts CD.

Burial - 24 Jan 1839.  Anne NOTTINGHAM, aged 28 wife of Joseph, a Shoemaker of Uxbridge, Middx, died 18 January.

No marriage in Princes Risborough for Joseph & Ann.  No marraige in Oxfordshire, according to OxFHS. Marraige Index. 1538-1837.

Steve. :)

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline JennMorgon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 August 17 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help Steve.  If you have access to the Princes R records could you please see if there is a second marriage for Joseph Nottingham.  Her name is Sarah Woodbridge and if there is a marriage recorded it would be after the death of Anne in 1839 and before 1841 when Sarah was recorded as wife of Joseph.
Many thanks once again
Jenn

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 August 17 21:27 BST (UK) »
There are quite a lot of 'Ann' baptisms in Princes Risborough, from 1810 - 1817.

1810 - Anne Woodbridge.
1811 - Ann Goodchild.
1811 - Ann Mines.
1811 - Ann Lacey. (of Speen).
1811 - Anne West.
1812 - Ann Syred. (Father was a cordwainer).
1814 - Ann Soden.
1815 - Ann Brown.
1815 - Ann Grace.
1817 - Anne Wright.
1817 - Anne West.
1817 - Anne Bayley.
1817 - Anne Soden.

There are more baptisms after 1817.

I have no subs for Ancestry...but there is a Marriage outiline for Jospeph Nottingham to a Ann WOODBRIDGE, in the London marriages and Banns.  (I have no dates)

No marriage for Joseph Nottingham in Princes Risborough.   I will check Lacey Green. which was a chapelry for Princes Risborough until 1825, but no marriage there either.

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 August 17 21:43 BST (UK) »
Same source of St Mary's.

Baptism - 5 Aug 1810. Anne born 2 Jun 1810, daughter of Joseph & Anne WOODBRIDGE of Allscot, Labourer.
Baptism - 9 Apr 1819. Sarah, daughter of Joseph & Ann WOODBRIDGE of town, Labourer.

Allscott is just outside Princes Risborough.

Offline JennMorgon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 August 17 22:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all your help Steve.  I suppose it's possible Anne Woodbridge married him and then died.  He then married younger sister Sarah Woodbridge.  All census returns show the wife as Sarah, and the presence of wife's mother on one census return confirms the surname of Woodbridge for wife number two.
Thank you again for your time
Jenn Morgon

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 August 17 11:49 BST (UK) »
Following on from Bucksboys post the Joseph Nottingham / Ann Woodbridge marriage took place at Hillingdon, Middx 6 Oct 1833, they were both of the parish.  One of the witnesses was Sarah Woodbridge  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JennMorgon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 August 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bucksboy and Rosie99.  It seems as though he married older sister Ann Woodbridge but she died in January 1839.  Her sister Sarah then came to look after family and ended up having children with Joseph.  Just found out that at that time it was not allowed for a man to marry his dead wife's sister .  The law to change this happened in 1907.  Mystery solved as to why there appears to be no marriage record for Joseph and Sarah.  Thank you both for all your help. 
Jenn

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 August 17 12:54 BST (UK) »
Although marrying a dead wifes sister was not allowed it did still happen often in another parish  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk