Author Topic: Laing and Johnston  (Read 963 times)

Offline Suja

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Laing and Johnston
« on: Sunday 13 August 17 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi:  Still trying to find anything on Agnes Nancy Johnston I feel from this area. Wondered as well about local genealogical society am also travelling to here. Wondered about chatting with genealogists folk about area.  Sue p

I'm actually planning a trip to my forefathers and mothers birth places. Been trying to find same in all these places just to see if any people of same name around or any nuances.
Cork-Dunmanway-Coveney   Ireland
Wexford-  Murphy
Clonmelon,Meath Cunningham

England Cornwall,Sumerset,Wilshire,Essex,Cambridgshire, Cumbria. Atkinson,Carless,Silcox,Allworth,Dyer.
Scotland
Dumfrieshire, Isle of Mull/Ulva   Laing,Johnston,McQuarrie

Online kall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Laing and Johnston
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 August 17 21:09 BST (UK) »
What info are you looking for sue and do you have any dates

Karen
Forrest - Blantyre
McLellan - Dumfriesshire
McCracken - Dumfriesshire
Harkness - Dumfriesshire
Adamson - Dumfriesshire

Offline Suja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 August 17 00:12 BST (UK) »
Agnes(Nancy)Johnston left Scotland 1773-74. As far as I know she was alone on the trip,there was another family of Johnston's,head being Peter but no connection was made. The Laing's were on the same boat and Agnes(Nancy) married Thomas Laing after landing here, 1775. They lived in Argyle,Washington Co.,N.Y.

For our times,I was wondering if there was genealogy society. I could talk with people from it get a sense of cemeteries, places I might be interested in any chance of relatives still around. Maybe a special place Dumfries history.                       Sue P

Wexford-  Murphy

England Cornwall,Sumerset,Wilshire,Essex,Cambridgshire, Cumbria. Atkinson,Carless,Silcox,Allworth,Dyer.
Scotland

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 August 17 04:06 BST (UK) »
I would advise trying to find information about specific family members, where they lived, and their places of birth and death, then seeking out these places to visit on your trip.

Speaking in general to someone from a genealogy society or similar may provide you with only vague details or nothing about your family members.

If you do your research before you go to Scotland, you will know more about the people and places and probably have a more rewarding and fruitful experience.

May I ask if you already have much information about your Johnston and Laing families or is the information you have given here all that you know about them? I presume you are aware of the site Scotland's People? Have you searched for parish registers relating to these people?

Keep in mind though that at the dates your Agnes left Scotland there may not be much to find about her and her family.

Added: I have just seen your earlier posts about this family.

As you are unsure of their place of origin and you are dealing with common Scottish names, unless you can find some clues at your end, you might not be able to go any further with this line. Have you thoroughly searched all the available records in the USA? Obituaries? Death/burial records? Newspapers of the time? Births of children which might say where the parents were born? Immigration records which may say where they hail from? Anything else? :-\

Offline Suja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 August 17 12:13 BST (UK) »
The Laing family came from langholm,Dumfriesshire,Scotland. Thomas's parents were John and Mary(Bell)Laing.  I guess I just like to meet with genealogists because sometimes they are more aware then other people. I get an idea in my head, sorry. That can be like a virus you know ☺I recently did my DNA and filled up two holes in my tree.I had known someone was missing and I found them both. That helped me finish over here. I realize I may never find who her family was but I have had so many things just drop in from the blue. Thanks for your input             Sue P
Wexford-  Murphy

Scotland

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 August 17 12:37 BST (UK) »
Laing and Bell are very common names in the area. For example, if you have a look on 192.com you can see that there are still some Laings in Langholme. It doesn't follow that you have any relationship to them, or that they have any knowledge of or interest in their family history.

Rootschat is made up of many 'genealogists' - if they can't help you it may be that no one can. :-\

Good luck with the search. I'm sure you will enjoy Scotland.