Author Topic: George Burchell  (Read 384 times)

Offline Jane190

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Burchell
« on: Sunday 13 August 17 23:12 BST (UK) »
On the marriage certificate of my ancestor Elizabeth Rhoda Burchell who married 1857 in Stepney, London was the occupation of her father Soldier in Her Majesty's Service'. His name was George Burchell and born about 1800 and 1819 but I don't know where . His daughter stated on the 1871 cencus that she was born 1838 in Bristol , Gloucestershire and on the 1861 in Somerset but I can't find a birth for her with the father's name George . Her mother's name is unknown. Are there any records or documents for George Burchell's time in the army ? It could be that his daughter was born oversea or in other countries.  I hope someone can help me to find out more about George Burchell's time in army and the origin and place of birth of his daughter Elizabeth.

Same Post here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=776232.msg6298931

regards

Jane
SMITH-Worth,Cuckfield/Sussex
COOPER-Heston,Harmondsworth/Middlesex
PATTENDEN- Sussex
FULLER- Worth /Sussex
UNDERWOOD-Chertsey/Surrey
JONES- Chertsey
BRIDDIST-Chertsey
BERRYMAN-Chertsey
HOWARD-Chertsey
TAYLOR-Hilmarton/Wiltshire
MILLS-East Ilsley/Berkshire
EVANS-East Hendred/Berkshire
HITCHMAN-Wantage
GODDARD- East Hendred
SHORTLAND-Sunbury-on-Thames
DUKES-Heston
NICOLLS-Middlesex
PICKET- Wroughton/Wiltshire
BUTLER-Wroughton
LANGRIDGE -Worth/Sussex

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Burchell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 August 17 09:42 BST (UK) »
While the name George Burchell does crop up on line twice in pension lists around the mid 1850s, both (one of the Rifle Brigade and one of the 40th Foot) went into pension in 1855 and 1850 respectively and in any event, pension records are simply lists and have no information on them to identify their family/place of birth etc.  There are, as far as I have been able to check, no other records.  Detailed records of a soldier who served time in that era weren't routinely kept, as you see from the National Archives guide http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-soldiers-up-to-1913/, records with distinguishing information are rare indeed.  There are a number of records you can access through the link but again telling one George Burchell from another is all but impossible.

There are no on line records that I can see of a birth abroad, including India, that make any sense.

As someone with a Birchall in the family, I am aware that the name is worse than most for variants but looking through the Birchall, Burchall, Birchell ete etc is a bit beyond me!

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia