Author Topic: Mary Burt  (Read 3928 times)

Offline rkrtx63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Burt
« on: Monday 14 August 17 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

So I'm my 4G Grandmother is Mary Burt was married to George Love. I'm hoping to find her parents, and the parents of George Love too.

Here is what I Know....

Mary Bird married George Love in Airth, Stirlingshire in 25 May 1803

Born to Mart Burt and George Love....

Son David born in Dunfermline, Fife in 18 Nov 1803
Dau. Mary born in Stirling, Stirlingshire in 10 May 1807
Son Francis born in Old Monkland, Lanarkshire in 12 Jul 1813
Son George born in Dundonald, Ayrshire in 29 Dec 1816.....not sure about this one, think he passed young, or possibly wrong family.
Son George born in New Kilpatrick, Dunbartonshire in 21 May 1820
Son Robert born in New Kilpatrick, Dunbartonshire in 12 Jul 1824

The census records are slim for Mary and George. I find no mention of George at all and think he died before 1841. There are several church records for a George Love passing before 1841 but details are slim. George worked as a Coal Miner as were all the sons. The daughter Mary married Archibald McDonald who was also a Coal Miner.

One possible census entry for Mary Burt shows her living in Glasgow's Towns Hospital aged 55. Some of the children were living in the Glasgow area by the mid 1830's so its possible the mother went also.

I did find her death record. She died in the Govan poorhouse in Lanarkshire in 15 Feb 1861. It lists her as the widow of George Love, Coal Miner, and her parents as Andrew Burt, Coal Miner (deceased) and Mary Burt M.S. Campbell (deceased). it lists her age as 80 so she was born around 1781.  I have also checked with the Mitchell Library and was informed that records for the Govan Poorhouse prior to 1876 have not survived. I found no records on SP for a Mary born to an Andrew Burt so her parents names may not be correct. I posted if the Fife forum because I believe a lot of the Burt family came from or close by.

Anyone researching this line?

Regards,

Ronnie

Offline Oliviasophie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Burt
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 January 19 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ronnie,
I know this is a late reply but  researching Mary Burt As She’s my 4x g grandmother as well.  I found an Andrew Burt married to a Mary Campbell Reed in Fife, Although it shows only a Mary Campbell on Mary Burt/ Love’s death certificate.
I wondered if you’d solved the puzzle?

Kind regards

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 January 19 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Was having a look at your request and read thru' it but found it a little misleading such as you say your 4x Grannie is Mary Burt, hence Mary Bird......married to George Love in Stirlingshire, 1803;  then family being born in Dunfermline...1803.  Then Stirling...1807.   Then Monkland...1813.   Then Dundonald...1816, but not sure about this one.   Then New Kilpatrick......1820 and 1824.
Now in all due respect, in the very early 18oo's people did move around, but not too frequently as large expanses of undeveloped Scottish roads did not cater safely for large growing families.  And the husband possibly being a Coal Hewer or Miner would have worked in one Town a good part of his life; as Miners or Farming Communities did in these days.

I'm of the opinion you do not live in Scotland or, no fault of your own, know little of the ''Good old Days'' in, Shall I say old Bonnie Scotland......Have a rethink of what I have writ or give me some true details and I will definitely give you help in tracing your Ancestors.....The name Burt is known in Kirkcaldy in Fife in the days you mention............................Ron.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 January 19 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Ron, the children's details for George Love and wife Mary Burt show in the OPRs on Scotlands People as showing above.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 January 19 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
I got your reply and double checked what you had found on Scotlands People and most panned out as you said.......I'll run thru' what I found too. 
Rightly so George was a Coal Hewer as it mentioned in the birth details of his children.....David was named under George Love and Mary Burt, in Mary's case she was named under her mums name of  ''BIRD''.......may be a clerical error or factual....I'll let you decide......The first GEORGE was born Dec 1816 and Baptized 23rd Feb. 1817. Although no death details are available for him I'm pretty sure he passed away prior to 1820 for a second son to be named GEORGE, anyway this was the given habit away back then....Robert was correct as you said and all seems well.

I did notice another birth mentioned on 7th June for Susanna, parents being John Love and wife Susanna.  Probably brothers at the least.  This was on the same doc's as Mary............

I did ascertain that George was a Coal Hewer, miner to you and me, and would have been a journeyman of sorts, but unusual, when digging up facts on our ancestors occupations......all these facts I know you are very familiar with.  Just to finish, there were a Burt's Steamship Booking Company in Kirkcaldy way back in the early 1900's which subsequently became an ''upmarket'' book-store and closed I'm sure about 30 years ago.
Two Burt's come to mind from here in Kirkcaldy, George Burt died in Rio de Janeiro in South America on the 10 March 1868.  Another Thomas Blair Burt accidently drowned on the 29th Dec. 1875; there seem to be quite a few recorded deaths and burials of them in Kirkcaldy, Fife.

If there is anything else Monica you wish help with, just get in touch.............................Ron.

Offline Oliviasophie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 January 19 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I am born and bred in Scotland- my 4x g grandfather was George Love & his wife was Mary Burt- who died in Govan poorhouse. I’m a descendant from their son Robert!

My initial question was-on Mary’s deaths certificate, her mother was listed as Mary Campbell & I was wondering if she was the same as a Mary Campbell Reed married to an Andrew Burt in Fife.

Moreover, I am familiar with miners & the movement for jobs & I come from a family of miners.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 January 19 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the offer, Ron  :) Lots of info there for sure. Like you though, just trying to help out with searches on these lines.

Welcome to RootsChat, Oliviasophie  :) Certainly a possibility that the name of Reed was left off Mary's death reg by the informant  :-\ There are a few birth showing for the children of an Andrew Burt and Mary Reid:

Robert chr. 29 June 1780 Dunfermline Associate Session, Dunfermline Fife

Robert  b. 18 August 1783 and chr. 20 August 1783 Torryburn Fife

Can't see anything for Mary. Some entries on the registers only have father entered.

Monica

Added: Marriage or Banns for this couple show on 19 Dec 1769 at Dunfermline Associate Session, Dunfermline, Fife

Offline Oliviasophie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 January 19 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Thanks for the welcome & I agree that the ‘Reed’ was possibly left off her death certificate. I just wondered if anyone had something different.
That’s good though because in the Fife ‘Burts’ I can go back to 1500s. I just wanted clarification about the Campbell Reed link.

Kind regards
Olivia.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 January 19 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Olivia, I see that there are a number of family trees for the Burt/Reid side. A few other children showing for them. I wonder if any of them who died post 1855 showed Mary Campbell Reid for their mother on their death certs?

For the Love/Burt children, could a family name show up as a sponsor at the christening of their children? The family moved a bit, so this can complicate family being around to act as sponsors.

Monica