Author Topic: Surrey Coats of Arms listings -query on reference to BLG 18  (Read 1605 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surrey Coats of Arms listings -query on reference to BLG 18
« on: Monday 14 August 17 10:51 BST (UK) »
I found online this Surrey listing of coats of arms which has some details of a grant to Richard Ford North, 1804-88.  There was more family detail and a description of the arms, crest and motto.  At the end is the reference BLG 18.  I take this to be Burke's Landed Gentry, vol 18, but I cannot get hold of a copy.  Is anyone able to help, please?  What year was '18' published?

Ainslie

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surrey Coats of Arms listings -query on reference to BLG 18
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 August 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
The 18th Edition of Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry
was published as 3 Volumes:
Vol. 1 & 2 1965-9, ed. Peter Townend;
Vol. 3 1972 (with Index to all three Volumes) ed. Hugh Montgomery-Massingberd

It might be worth checking what editions are available locally to you at libraries and Record Offices?

The complete set of 3 volumes is available on Amazon - a snip at only £295! :o
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 August 17 12:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you, KG.  The Amazon route is out, naturally, and our central library is much harder to penetrate since a major revamp, with far fewer reference works on accessible shelves, and more rigmarole to request stacked items.  I will try a different source.
A

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 August 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
What exactly are you looking for in Burke's?

The blazon is:
Quarterly Or and Azure, in the first quarter a crescent of the second.
Crest: A lion passant proper langued gules.

So, that's 4 quarters of gold and blue on the top, and blue and gold under, with a blue crescent in the first quarter.
The crest being a walking lion, right forepaw raised, with red tongue and claws.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 August 17 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the translation.  I was hoping to pick up more of that family's details from the BLG entry, as well as looking at the blazon if it is illustrated.
A

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 August 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
Manchester Schools Register
John, James and Richard Ford, sons of Forth North, esq., Rydal Mount, Kendal, Westmoreland.

John North became an attorney, and partner in the firm of North and Orred, and practised at Liverpool for forty years. He was for many years the chief solicitor of the Liverpool Corporation and Dock Trust. Ho has retired from professional life, and lives in the neighbourhood of that town.

James North, after passing seven years under the high master, in which he took part in the public speeches of the senior scholars, was admitted a commoner of Brasenose college, Oxford, in 1822, and graduated B.A. on the 25th May 1825, and M.A. i6th April 1828. He was also one of Hulme's exhibitioners. He is now incumbent of S. Catharine's church, Liverpool, which appointment he has
held since 1834.

Richard Ford North was for many years engaged in commerce at Liverpool and in Spain, and is now resident at Norwood, near London. His praiseworthy efforts in the course of education were noticed some years ago in an article in the Quarterly Eeviexo. He married a Spanish lady at Cadiz.

My usual website for creating/designing/drawing CoA is offline at the moment, but I used a different site to generate the attached.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 August 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
More gratitude!  That is indeed the family I am interested in.  The blazon is splendid, too.
A