Author Topic: Ann Porter (1804 entry at Barthomley)  (Read 841 times)

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Porter (1804 entry at Barthomley)
« on: Monday 14 August 17 11:12 BST (UK) »
Ann Porter was my great (x4) grandmother.  She appears to make just a single entry in any genealogical record I can find, which is why I'm appealing for help.

The parish register at St Bertoline's, Barthomley, records that James Porter was born on 17th September 1804 and that he was the 'illegitimate son of Ann Porter of the parish of Audley'.  Audley is three miles from Barthomley but is, crucially, not just outside Barthomley parish but is also across the county boundary and is in Staffordshire.

I have lots of information on James Porter, his wife Margaret and their family.  He continued to live in villages and hamlets on the fringes of Barthomley, either side of the county line (Oakhonger, Batterley, Batterley Heath, Balterley).  However I can find no other reference to Ann Porter.  There is nothing else on her origins, any other children, any marriage or her death, that I have been able to find.  (I have searched Audley and other North Staffordshire sources too.)

Can any RootsChatter discover any other reference (especially, perhaps, a burial record for the 1804 - 1841 period)?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Porter (1804 entry at Barthomley)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 08:01 BST (UK) »
there are TWO Baptisms for James in Barthomley - mother Ann on www.familysearch.org
14th October 1804
14th October 1805
obviously one is wrong - or ??   did one die .
do you know for sure that Ann was a single lady - she may have been pregnant when her husband died ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Porter (1804 entry at Barthomley)
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 08:09 BST (UK) »
The 1804 date appears to be correct  ;)  As mentioned the entry says that James was Illegitimate
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk