Author Topic: Mary anne Mitchels parents,  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Shar10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary anne Mitchels parents,
« on: Monday 14 August 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the parents of my great  grandmother Mary  Anne [Ann] Mitchel born in Londonderry/Derry on the 8th of October 1869.
her parents are  down as Alexander Mitchell and Jane Logue, but I am unable to find any birth marriage or death records of either of them, I will be grateful for any information received,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary anne Mitchels parents,
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 August 17 12:20 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the parents of my great  grandmother Mary  Anne [Ann] Mitchel born in Londonderry/Derry on the 8th of October 1869.
her parents are  down as Alexander Mitchell and Jane Logue, but I am unable to find any birth marriage or death records of either of them, I will be grateful for any information received,

Do you have a marriage or death for her? have you found her in any census records? where did you get the names of her parents?

Added- extracted record here-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPNP-WLR
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Shar10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 August 17 13:38 BST (UK) »
thank you so much for the quick reply, I have Mary Annes, birth marriage and death records from ancestry uk,  her birth records show her parents names but when I try to go back further to her parents Alexander Mitchel and Jane Logue I cannot find any that the age would fit ,

the ones I found with those names were born around 1870 but Mary Anne herself was born in 1869.

t

Offline Shar10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 August 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
sorry I meant to say the record of birth you found for Mary Anne was not the one I found so thanks for that.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 August 17 14:37 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births started in 1864 so their will be no birth certificates for Alexander Mitchell or Jane Logue in Ireland.

Do you know what religion the family would have been? registration of Catholic marriages began 1864 but non-Catholic ones 1845.

There is a marriage for a Jane Logue (23 Oct.1856 Boveva) to a David Anderson. Possibly Jane married previously? (although I can't see marriage for an Alexander Mitchell that fits)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGCG-ML2

Offline Shar10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 August 17 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, Aghadowey,and thanks again for taking the time and trouble to look into this for me.
on her marriage  record to my granddad David Brown the marriage took place in the Presbyterian church in the parish of Templemoor co Derry.

that makes sense about the birth records as I had trouble finding others, as for that Jane Logue being the right one I am not sure as it seems to be a very common name in Ireland
I noticed her father on that certificate was a Thomas Logue and it maybe a coincidence but that name was listed as a boarder on I think my grandparents census form.
thanks again for all of your help.

Jane

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 August 17 16:01 BST (UK) »
Still working on this  :)

Marriage of David Browne & Mary Ann Mitchell (1885 which makes her only 15 although her age is given as 'full' ie 21 or older) gives her address as Dungiven Road, Derry & one of the witnesses is a William Mitchell-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1885/10874/5971529.pdf

A Stephen Mitchell & wife living Dungiven Rd. in 1901 (Reformed Presbyterian)- marriage shows his father as Samuel Mitchell, farmer so probably just a coincidence-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Waterside/Dungiven_Road/1540131

A Joseph Browne born 1900 at Bentley St., Derry- informant Margaret Mitchell, Benvarden Ave.-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1900/01996/1767875.pdf

This looks a bit more promising- William Mitchell with mother Margret at Benvarden Ave. in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Waterside/Benvarden_Avenue/1539541
However, his father also listed as a Samuel Mitchell, farmer-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1897/10453/5806486.pdf

Added- another William Mitchell marriage a possibility but his father is Alexander Campbell!
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1899/10370/5775568.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 August 17 16:07 BST (UK) »