Author Topic: JAmes BRAGG born 1803  (Read 3184 times)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: James BRAGG born 1803
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 17 August 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
Right don't know if this is the right one but if you go here https://talis.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/ and search under Bragg James you can download the marriage certificate of a James Bragg to a Hannah Pizey in 1837

Could this be James? also other records on there regarding James

Quite a lot of interesting links here http://familyhistoryresearch.com.au/courses/IntroFamilyHistory/ch4_Convicts.htm#Tas

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline warrawillah

• RIP 2023
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: JAmes BRAGG born 1803
« Reply #28 on: Friday 18 August 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
Found this arrival. Could be them. Now to look and see if I can find them arriving in Tasmania.
BRAGG J(ames?), wife arrived in SA 1846-04-05 aboard Henry (2) from Launceston

He was definitely married to Susanna. The SA death records show BRAGG nee HYDE Susanna died 1860-05-17 at Mitcham; relative/informant James (H); buried Mitcham Anglican Cemetery.

Curiouser and curiouser.
Marie
DONALDSON  from Aberdeen,Orkney. and Newport, MONS Wales. WILLIAMS/CAUGHTER from Bangor Caernarvonshire, WALES
WISEMAN from ELGIN and LOSSIEMOUTH. MARTIN from Winchelea in Sussex, RICHARDSON from Rovelden in Kent, Pollok/POLLOCK from Scotland, LECKIE from Scotland WARRY from Bristol ENG

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 18 August 17 09:39 BST (UK) »
He married Susannah Hyde in Portsea in Hampshire in 1837. She died in 1860 in Mitcham, South Australia
and he remarried to Jane Grainger shortly afterwards the same year. I guess he may have had children with his first wife but haven't found their arrival yet. He had 5 children with Jane between 1862 and 1880. Plenty of life in the old boy!

Thanks for your help,
 Marie

The James Bragg and Susannah Hyde who married Portsea are not the right couple James is still in Portsea in 1871 and died there in 1883 Susannah died in 1869 their last child was born in 1857

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 18 August 17 10:17 BST (UK) »
Ha!

10.3.1828 Handsworth Staffordshire marriage of John Bragg to Susannah Hyde

I think you are looking at the wrong Bragg in relation to the Susannah's death in 1860 and it only says that the informant is James not that he is her husband

The James that was transported in 1822 is listed as Joseph when he arrives

Willow x

Offline warrawillah

• RIP 2023
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 18 August 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
Interesting marriage at Handsworth, but JOHN Bragg????? Now I am even more confused.

I am sure the convict is incorrect as there was no ex-convict Bragg listed in the SA convict docs (for free convicts settling there) and there was no wife called Hannah in SA either. Also, would a convict be a verger for all those years? Just a thought.

I'm fairly sure the SA death notice for Susanna Bragg in 1860 is correct as the (H) signifies husband I think. Also the refs to Mitcham are relevant as this is where James lived and worked.

Marie
DONALDSON  from Aberdeen,Orkney. and Newport, MONS Wales. WILLIAMS/CAUGHTER from Bangor Caernarvonshire, WALES
WISEMAN from ELGIN and LOSSIEMOUTH. MARTIN from Winchelea in Sussex, RICHARDSON from Rovelden in Kent, Pollok/POLLOCK from Scotland, LECKIE from Scotland WARRY from Bristol ENG

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 18 August 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
Its the only Bragg/Hyde marriage I could find that wasn't the couple that stayed in England

I think you need it invest in some certificate to crack this one further

Willow x

Offline warrawillah

• RIP 2023
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 18 August 17 13:57 BST (UK) »
Yes Willow. I think you're right. Thank you so much for all of your ideas and input.
PS Wasn't able to attend but should have graduated today with a Diploma in Family History from University of Tasmania. Not bad for a 70 year old in very poor health!
Regards,
Marie

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: James BRAGG born 1803
« Reply #34 on: Friday 18 August 17 14:04 BST (UK) »
Congratulations! I'm sorry you couldn't make the graduation though

Let us know what you find out from the certificates and we can do a bit more digging for you

Willow x