Author Topic: McBrayne  (Read 1641 times)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McBrayne
« on: Monday 14 August 17 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Trying to find out if someone I found in my searches did or did not die as an infant. In searching for a relative named Dougie (Dugald/Dougald/Doyglas) McBrayne who worked in a garage in Lochgilphead over 60 years ago, who would have been born circa 1900, I found a confusing birth registration.

The registration found on SP, shows Dugald McBrayne born to Dugald McBrayne (a baker) and his wife, Christina McVicar, in Ardrishaig on April 13, 1906. There is a notation that states that the child died before vaccinations. Those words were then crossed out and, in the margin, it says clerical error.

I have not found a death for this person, in infancy or otherwise, nor a marriage or census entry for 1911. Maybe I am not even looking at the right D McBrayne. There are many in the Lochgilphead and Ardrishaig area!

Thank you!

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: McBrayne
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 August 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary ,

SP has a death for a Dugald MacBrayne , age 73 , 1981 Lochgilphead Argyll.

Also a birth for a Dugald MacBrayne , 1908 , Lochgilphead Argyll.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 August 17 16:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you! I wonder if that could be him. The family was estranged for many years. All we know is that our fellow was an employee, possibly a mechanic, in the Stag Garage in Lochgilphead.
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 18:14 BST (UK) »
Mary,

The Stag Garage in Lochgilphead is still going strong.  Perhaps an email or phone call (01546 602100) could illicit helpful information from their records.

Regards

Istrice

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 August 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,

I will be visiting the records office in Edinburgh relatively soon. I will see what I can find out. I have strong family connections to the Ardrishaig/Lochgilphead area. My mum was born and brought up in Ardrishaig so I am always curious about posts relating to the area. Will let you know how I get on.

Regards

Doddie

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 September 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
H Mary,

Visited the records office in Edinburgh yesterday. The information I found out rules out some information rather than sheds new light on things unfortunately.

The Dugald McBrayne you came across did indeed die as an infant

Dugald McBrayne, born in Ardrishaig 13 April 1906 Father, Dugald McBrayne (a baker). Mother, Christina McVicar. Died 29 April 1906 aged 10 days (not entirely accurate but perhaps not surprising given the tragic  circumstances). Cause of death, "Abnormality of umbilical cord, protrusion of intestines, gangrene".

The Dugald MacBrayne that ev came across as follows:

Dugald MacBrayne, born in Lochgliphead 1 April 1908. Father, Alexander MacBrayne (a master draper) Mother, Margaret McVean. Brother, Lachlan Gillies MacBrayne (born, 25 October 1911).

Dugald (a draper and clothier)  married Margaret Lithgow Mark in Kelvingrove, Glasgow 7 October 1941. He was a shop proprietor when he died on 20 November 1981.

I was unable to come across any connection with the Stag Garage in Lochgilphead. I carried out searches under the various formats of christian name just to make sure.

Regards

Doddie

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 September 17 15:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much! Hmmm puzzling. Unless he perhaps went by a middle name or nickname of sorts. A male McBrayne relative has just sent away for a Y DNA kit, so we might get somewhere once that testing is complete. I do love a good mystery!

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 September 17 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary, sending you a personal message with some additional information.

Regards

Doddie

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 September 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Doddie. I have replied to that pm. :)