Author Topic: Banting DNA  (Read 1422 times)

Offline sunkeeper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Banting DNA
« on: Monday 14 August 17 18:48 BST (UK) »
We have an ever growing group of people all matching up to the Banting family from Oxford.  Is anyone else looking for this family?  Some of the members moved over to Berks while others headed to Hampshire.  Be happy to compare your DNA to those confirmed.

Offline prue12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon
    • View Profile
Re: Banting DNA
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 November 17 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am descended from John Banting b. abt 1715, who married first Molly Holland in Foxcott near Knights Enham, Hants in 1752 and second Sarah Tarrant/Tarrint in Exbury, Hants in 1759 (children all baptised in Andover). John and Sarah are my 5x great grandparents.
My DNA has been matched to a descendant of Sarah Banting and John Eustace who married in Wantage, Berks in 1768. Sarah’s parents were James Banting b.1720 in Bampton, Oxon and his wife Elizabeth Alder. Many of the Oxfordshire and Berkshire Bantings were blacksmiths. Some of James’ children were born in Childrey, Berks (inc Sarah and blacksmith Henry), whilst later children were born in Bampton.
My DNA has also been matched to a great nephew of Nobel prize winner Sir Frederick Banting, in Ontario (most recent common ancestor estimated 7.7 generations back). Sir Frederick’s known ancestry goes back to a John Banting b. 1742 (7 generations back from my Canadian match) who, with his wife (reputedly) Elizabeth Hall , emigrated from England to Ballyfin in Ireland, where he worked as a gardener on the estate. Their descendants later emigrated to Ontario. Other Hampshire Bantings have also had their DNA matched to descendants of Sir Frederick, so although it is a distant relationship, it seems genuine.
There are two issues which need to be resolved: first, where is the link between my known (on paper) ancestor John Banting and the Oxfordshire/Berkshire Bantings; and second, where did Sir Frederick’s ancestor John Banting come from and how does he link in to the Oxfordshire/Berkshire Bantings?
There are many stories circulating on the internet about the latter: that he was the son of Charles John Bentinck of the aristocratic Dutch family; that his wife was a titled Lady from Bristol; that he eloped with Elizabeth after a chance meeting on the roads, etc. etc.. It is difficult to sort fact from fiction. The Bentinck family is well documented and there is no record of Charles John having any children, so that part at least seems to be fiction.
I don’t know whether this helps your group or whether you can help me, it’s just something to add to the mix.
Incidentally, my Banting great grandparents were first cousins so the generational estimates on my side might not be very accurate.
Best wishes
prue12
Hughes in Gronant, Flintshire
Jones in Holywell, Flintshire
Kelly in St Asaph, Flintshire
Clark in Salisbury, Wiltshire
Waghorn/e in Robertsbridge, Sussex
Banting in Upper Clatford/Andover