Author Topic: Is Ancestry's 'We're Related' reliable?  (Read 1495 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Is Ancestry's 'We're Related' reliable?
« on: Monday 14 August 17 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Today I downloaded this app. You can only fill in your tree up to your great-grandparents. So far, the app has only discovered a relation to some country singer, through the Jellis family. This is is true: I am descended from the Jellis family. This branch goes back to 1578, in Shudy Camps, Cambridgeshire, while mine ends in 1773, in Radwinter, Essex (about 7 miles away in North Essex). Mary Graves (Jellis) was son of John Jellis, that much I know. This app gives me a list of claimed ancestors, on the tree going back to 1606, but an internet search finds the same individual, and gives his father's name and birthplace, and the individual was baptised in the same place, according to FamilySearch. However, there are two generations between North Essex and South Cambridgeshire that I cannot link together. Has anyone else this used this app? Does anyone know if it is reliable?

Thanks,

Adam McGregor
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Is Ancestry's 'We're Related' reliable?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 August 17 20:07 BST (UK) »
I haven't used it, but is it amy more reliable than Ancestrys "much loved" hints? Because they usually induce a  ::)!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 August 17 20:21 BST (UK) »
It begs the question - Is anything Ancestry does reliable?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 August 17 20:23 BST (UK) »
Never heard of it! ;D

And, having found it (via Google) can't think of any reason why I would want to use it. :-\

But then, I don't do apps!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 August 17 20:29 BST (UK) »
It was my hope in downloading it that I might be able to get free information through it  ;D however, it seems to be unreliable. It showed me as being related to a number of people with French blood, as I apparently have a French great-grandmother  ::)
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 August 17 23:20 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 00:44 BST (UK) »
it seems to be unreliable. It showed me as being related to a number of people with French blood, as I apparently have a French great-grandmother  ::)

I'm sure by your expression, you know different  ???

I have always named that site as 'Fancestry'....no need to explain  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline IanBInOz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 04:23 BST (UK) »
Like all these genealogy sites, the only information  you should trust is the actual source document.  These seem to be shared around between the various operators and close examination will often uncover transcription errors and downright wrong information in their databases.  But the source is the source and whether you get it from Ancestry, or FindMyPast or Family Search etc is irrelevant as long as you are looking at an image of the actual document
Cheers
Ian B