Author Topic: Protestant dissenters - Helmsley-Blackmoor, Kirkbymoorside area- 1700s  (Read 1421 times)

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Protestant dissenters - Helmsley-Blackmoor, Kirkbymoorside area- 1700s
« on: Monday 14 August 17 21:33 BST (UK) »
4x gt.grandfather, James YOUNG b. 1754, his siblings, his children, nephews & nieces were baptised at the Corn Market Chapel, Sunderland. I have been trying to verify James YOUNG's wife Christiana's last name. There is a marriage for James YOUNG & Christiana BENTLEY at Kirkby Moorside, 14.01.1779 which seems the best fit. The problem is the distance between Sunderland, Durham where James came from and Kirkby Moorside. In looking at the history of the Corn Market Chapel I see that the Rev. John Clegg who was minister from approx. 1789 - 1809 and the Rev. Samuel Turner who followed him and was minister for approx 30 years from 1809 both came to the Corn Market Chapel from Helmsley Blackmoor. I have not been able to find out how long John Clegg  was at Helmsley. I'm wondering if this could be the link between the two areas for James and Christiana( tenuous, I know) The Rev. John Clegg originally came from Manchester and was educated for the ministry at the dissenting academy at Hecmondwick under Dr. Scott He is on a list of students but unfortunately no dates so I have no idea how long he was at Helmsley Blackmoor.
Any information about Protestant dissenting chapels /congregations in the Helmsley, Kirkdale, Kirkby Moorside area in the 1700s would be welcome.  thanks Jo

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Protestant dissenters - Helmsley-Blackmoor, Kirkbymoorside area- 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 August 17 22:47 BST (UK) »
Chapels of Dissenters had to be licensed, as did private houses where Dissenters held prayer meetings. Not sure of the dates , so don't know if the licensing law was still in operation for the years you're interested in. Just last week, in Lancashire Archives online catalogue I came across lists of Dissenters' chapels and individuals applying to use their houses for prayer meetings. Presumably lists like those exist in other archives.
Perhaps the young couple had a long-distance courtship?
Cowban

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 05:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information. I will look into it. Jo

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
Is there a local history/ family history society?
Cowban

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 August 17 01:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you Maiden Stone for your prompting me to search for all possible sources. I have written to the North Yorkshire archives - I couldn't see anything likely online at their website
Today I discovered that  Dr. Williams Library  has an Evans List and a Thompson List which show Dissenting Congregations and Ministers and it also has the Surman Index of Dissenting Ministers which is available online and covers from mid 17th century to 1972. This index  is excellent - can be searched by area or minister's name.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 August 17 01:48 BST (UK) »
That sounds very useful. Why don't you check if it's in Resources on RootsChat and if it's not, add it.
Cowban

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 August 17 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hello ejowynne

Circa 1800 my family were a mixed bunch of dissenters.

The Surman Index is a list of Dissenting Ministers, with index cards, usually including places & dates, a birth and death date.

The Marriage Act 1753, full title "An Act for the Better Preventing of Clandestine Marriage", popularly known as Lord Hardwicke's Marriage Act.

http://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/transformingsociety/private-lives/relationships/overview/lawofmarriage-/

Only Jews and Quakers were exempt from the 1753 Act and could marry in their own buildings.

Marriages of Roman Catholics (Papists) who felt they couldn't marry in a C of E church and who married in their own church, were often considered illegal Marriages by the State.

I have discovered that one Catholic Chapel only submitted its Registers back to 1822, when they were requested by the Registrar General (RG) in the 1830s.

However, a Rootschatter discovered, that older Roman Catholic Records for this Catholic Chapel, are still in their Church safe.

I think the Head office of the United Reformed Church which took over from Congregational and Independent Chapels, are another organisation with inherited old Registers.

I have even heard that a Supermarket, holds Registers in its safe, because the supermarket was built over a burial site and a chapel.

Dissenters - Refusing to Attend a Parish C of E Church

Surviving Marriage Bonds and / or Marriage Allegations (Intentions)

First of all there will be no Banns Read (three Sundays in a row) in the Parish Church, so they will need a Licence.

If the License / Licence has not survived, then you should see if there is a Marriage Bond and/or Allegation, usually in the Diocese records (or an area Church Court where some had to apply), mainly in the Man's name, but sometimes the Female had to apply.

For Yorkshire, those in the Borthwick Institute, York, were Indexed and they may look it up, but copies of the filmed originals, often have Occupation (also the Bondsman and his Occupation) on the Bond and their original signatures, or marks.

The Marriage Allegation / Intention form should have their Names, if Bachelor, Spinster, Widower, or Widow and ages, e.g. aged 27 and upwards, the "and upwards" is usually the printed part, suggesting the named person was 27.

Where the person is too young to consent to Marriage, the Parent (often the Father) will give their consent, be named and sign this Marriage form too.

For Durham and some parts of Northumberland the Durham Record Office has many images of the LDS microfilms online, including some Marriage Bonds and Marriage Allegations, in conjunction with Family Search (C of the LDS).

However, these IMAGES cannot be searched by putting the name and dates in the box, on their search page, but must be searched, image by image from several hundred or even thousand digitised images, but it is free, if you are patient.

You may need to get a free Family Search Registration to see images.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/library/asc/collection_information/cldload/?collno=551

Durham Diocese Marriage Bonds and Allegations
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1675690

Browse 108,000 Durham Diocese Marriage Bond / Allegations images from here ...

https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https://www.familysearch.org/recapi/sord/collection/1675690/waypoints

Mark

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 August 17 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Bushinn ( smile - Bush Inn = popular student pub, Christchurch, NZ)

Thank you for this information. I couldn't wish for a more complete guide. It will be very useful.

I  have been thinking about a connection between the Corn Market Chapel in Sunderland and Dissenters in Helmsley/Kirkby Moorside/Kirkdale, North Yorkshire. Through the Surman index I have established that not only Rev. Clegg and Turner but also the Rev. William Platt  before them also moved from Helmsley to the Corn Market Chapel ( this info was not in the other ref. I had)   so it was of some use to me.  I would like to find a list of the licences granted for meeting houses in the North Yorkshire area  but no luck with that so far.
Thanks again for the interesting information and the great references. Jo