Author Topic: genealogy/history of seven surnames in Kerry trasnsplanted from Laois, Ireland  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Gizmo678192

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am interested in all genealogical information on seven surnames in Co Kerry whose ancestors were transplanted from Co Laois Ireland. The seven surnames are Moore, Kelly, Lawlor, Dowling, Doran, Dee or Deevy and McEvoy. I have recently published a book on the history of the transplantation 'From Laois to Kerry' and am now interested in learning more about the genealogy and survival of descendants of the original transplantees

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: genealogy/history of seven surnames in Kerry trasnsplanted from Laois, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 00:10 BST (UK) »
Looking at a Leinster Express report on your book I take it that this transplantation happened in the 1600's and the families would all have been settled on lands owned by Crosbie.
An idea of what townlands Crosbie owned might help people decide if their family could be involved.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: genealogy/history of seven surnames in Kerry trasnsplanted from Laois, Ireland
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 08:36 BST (UK) »
A location mentioned here-

I am a native of Tarbert Co Kerry and apparently the name came from Tarbert, Co Kerry when Laois transplantees to Tarbert Kerry returned to Laois. The Seven Septs of Laois were originally transplantated to Kerry during the plantation era in Ireland. I have recently published a book on this subject 'From Laois to Kerry' which includes details and references in relation to the Laois townland name Tarbert
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gizmo678192

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
Responding to where in Kerry the Laois transplantees were established as tenant farmers under the brothers Patrick and Bishop John Crosbie, the transplantees settled in 10 North Kerry parishes. Using modern parish names these parishes were Ardfert, Abbeydorney, Lixnaw, Kilflynn, Ballyduff, Tarbert, Ballylongford, Ballydonoghue, Moyvane and Duagh. All of the Laois seven sept surnames are still present in these and surrounding parishes today, Moores, Kellys, Lawlors, Dowlings, Deevys (Dees in Kerry), Dorans and McEvoys. I myself have a Kerry McEvoy in my family tree and my late mother-in-Law was a Laois McEvoy, hence my interest. The original Crosbies above were imposters and rather colourful characters. I have devoted two chapters of my book 'From Laois to Kerry' to them.

Offline Catbán

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 February 24 13:20 GMT (UK) »
I had just read about your book 'From Laois to Kerry' on the Internet before coming on this site. I have ordered a copy. I too am interested in learning more about the genealogy of the transplanted Moores and look forward to reading your book. I believe that I am a descendant of the original transplantees. I have a date of birth for a Stephen Moore born in 1869 who was my granfather. His father was a William Moore who lived in Mahoonagh Co Limerick. William's father was a Maurice Moore. I heard, in my childhood, from a parent, that my Moore ancestors had come from the border of North Kerry and Limerick. Someone else who has done the research has said that my Kerry Moore ancestors originated in Laois.