Author Topic: Searching for birth record Ann Quinton, Wetheringsett, Suffolk  (Read 1904 times)

Offline AussieJulie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for birth record Ann Quinton, Wetheringsett, Suffolk
« on: Tuesday 15 August 17 06:29 BST (UK) »
My 2xgreat grandfather, Ishmael Catchpole Quinton - born 1819 to Ann Quinton in Coddenham; no father named on birth record; but I have sourced the birth father's name from Suffolk Records Office [spelt as Quintin].  From 1851 Census I found Ann Quinton stating birthplace of Wetheringsett, Suffolk; living in Coddenham, aged 75 - unmarried; a charwoman; head of household; giving approx year of birth as 1776.  Also, a death record showing buried July1858 in Coddenham, St Mary's; birth year as 1776; & age as 82. 
Ishmael married his 2nd of 3 wives, Lavinia Chittick who was the daughter of William & Hagar (nee Quinton) Chittick in 1840's.  Hagar was born in Crowfield 22 Mar 1797 and her mother was also Ann Quinton, no father named on birth record; but again have sourced probable father from Suffolk Records Office. Lavinia Chittick also was born in Crowfield.
Given these coincidences, I think Ishmael & Hagar are probably brother & sister - but quite a stretch in between both; if same mother Ann, would have been 21 at Hagar's birth & 43 for Ishmael's. 
I'm also keen to know who Ann's parents were to further research.  I've searched on FindMyPast, Ancestry, Family Search with no match for Ann Quinton to 1776 birth year.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for birth record Ann Quinton, Wetheringsett, Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 07:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie and a warm welcome to Rootschat - did you notice in the 1841 census she is calling herself Nancy ?? and living in same village as 1851 - Coddenham .
birth year given as 1772-1776.
Hagar was christened 22nd March 1797 - that wasn't her birth date - she could have been born a couple of years earlier - some people couldn't afford to baptise their children until they had saved enough money .. :)
ADDED Hagar married 26th feb 1816 - if she WAS born 1897 she was 19 - have you found Hagar in later census to give her birth year ? I can't find a death for Hagar - do you have one ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 07:28 BST (UK) »
possible for the parents ??
Thomas Quinton married Ann Fairweather 8th January 1772 in  Wetheringsett ,Suffolk
Wetheringsett Cum Brockford is quoted in some records
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline AussieJulie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 07:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the delightfully quick response & welcome!  Yes, I had noted Nancy Quinton in 1841 Census in Coddenham; & attached it to my record - given its similarity to the 1851 census. I've also corrected Hagar's date to that of her christening - thanks.

I also pursued Thomas (DoD: 1813, age 77; putting DOB at 1736); Ann Fairweather (DOB: 1738) Wetheringsett.  I believe they had a daughter, Mary Ann in 1773 born in Wetheringsett, who married a Robert Clements & that marriage produced a son, John in 1799 in Mendlesham.   Thomas & Ann also had a son Joseph, bn 1778. It's still possible Ann is another daughter of Thomas and Ann.

In the Library version I use for Ancestry.com - Thomas & Ann are included in a public family tree 'owned by Michelle Bird' & that tree did not have Ann; but this could be an oversight. 

Thanks again for your assistance/response.

Offline AussieJulie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 07:58 BST (UK) »
I just noticed the additional commentary on Hagar:
In 1841, I have her in William Chittick Census with the age of 44;
In 1851, I have Ann (as wife) Chittick with the age of 53....so guessing a misunderstanding in the record.
In 1861, I have Hogan Chittick listed in Ishmael Quinton's census - listed as mother with the age 64.  I collected this early & don't have access to that record, but from Family Search I think that Quinton is misspelt as "Taunton" - its on my action list next time I'm in the Library to use (for free) their version of Ancestry.com.
I have the DATES of the actual census night if you need; that may explain the 53years in 1851 rather than 54.

Offline AussieJulie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 08:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry, forgot comment on date of death...I also haven't sourced that record as yet.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
The 1861 census entry is very difficult to read!

13 Janson Place Paddington London
Ishmael (that's what it looks like to me even though transcribed as Samuel) Quinton ( it does look like Taunton but it could be Quinton) widower 41 born Coddenham Suffolk
Louise (according to the transcription) daughter 13 born St Mary
Charles E son 8 born Shoreditch
Arthur A son 4 born St Saviour
Hogan/Hagar Chittick mother married 64 visitor born Wentworth Suffolk
Eliza/Elizabeth Chittick sister 24 housekeeper born Crowfield? Suffolk
Then some servants

Hope that helps

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 09:47 BST (UK) »
The 1871 census is interesting

13 JonsonPlace Paddington

Ishmael Quinton married 51 licensed victualler born Coddenham
Elizabeth wife 34 born Crowfield
William son 21 born Shoreditch
Charles e son 18 born Shoreditch
Frederick son 8, France's daur 7, Alfred son 2 all born Paddington

William Chittick visitor widower 74 visitor retired grocer born Crowfield Suffolk
Sophia Chittick niece 20 barmaid

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hagar's death was registered June Quarter 1867 Kensington Registration District. William Chittick was buried in 1871 at St James' church St Pancras. His death is also registered Kensington and in the June Quarter.