Author Topic: Thomas Kent of Staffordshire (Leek and/or Uttoxeter)  (Read 555 times)

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Kent of Staffordshire (Leek and/or Uttoxeter)
« on: Tuesday 15 August 17 10:58 BST (UK) »
I've worked my way back to my great(x3)-grandfather, Thomas Kent, but then hit a brick wall. What I know so far:
1. He married Ann Clewlow at St Edwards church in Leek, 3.10.1802.
2. I've checked baptismal records at Stafford County Records Office for Leek from 1800 to 1810 inclusive, but only one child found so far - my great-great-grandfather Charles (1803-1852). Charles later lived in Uttoxeter, the earliest record of him there being in 1834.
3. A Thomas Kent lived in Regent Street, Leek, in 1841 (aged 58) and 1851 (aged 68). He was a joiner, said to be born in Leek. So I assume he was born in 1782-3. But no records yet found in Leek, Endon, Bagnall, or Norton-le-Moors. In any case, I can't yet be sure that he is mine.
4. Several Kents noted in the village of Stanley, but I have no way of proving a relationship with them.

I guess this is about the time when many family trees run out, but thought I would post here just in case anyone has any bright ideas or extra information.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Kent of Staffordshire (Leek and/or Uttoxeter)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
Potentiial baptisms from FamilySearch:

18th May 1783 at Leigh, Stafford
Thomas Kent, son of Ralph & Dorothy Kent

28th December 1784 at Butterton by Hulme End, Stafford
Thomas Kent, son of Ralph & Judith Kent
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 11:28 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this helps or not.

On the 1851 census for Charles and Ann there is a visitor listed at the end of the entry.
Samuel Kent born 1805 in Uttoxeter. Perhaps a brother? If not, possibly a close relative?

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the two very quick replies already received.
Already had a note about TK born 1783 in Leigh, but not the one in Butterton. At the least, I will add it to my growing list of "Loose Ends".
Also had already noted "visitor" Samuel but your note made me think that it might be worthwhile looking for his birth record. Samuel born 1804-5 in Uttoxeter - and also any other census records for him. I'll make a note to check for that next time I have access to records, unless someone can advise anything quickly without going to inconvenience. Hopefully it might give a clue or two.

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 August 17 16:30 BST (UK) »
Well it turns out that this Samuel Kent is an even greater mystery! Just been searching through Ancestry, Findmypast and Familysearch for a Samuel Kent born around 1805, anywhere in Staffordshire but nothing remotely connected. There is a birth in Penkridge but that's a good way away and it's in 1807 so nothing certain about that and in any case nothing to connect him with Thomas or Charles. There is a death reported in 1858 but nothing like him in the 1841 census. So - thanks for the help but it looks like this one is a dead end.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 August 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
Not quite sure why you are dismissing the Penkridge entry - it's not that far away from Leek, about 30 miles.  We tend to forget that our ancestors actually travelled much further than we think.   :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY