Author Topic: Thomas Knight c1800  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
Thomas Knight c1800
« on: Tuesday 15 August 17 15:45 BST (UK) »
As I am currently without all the research I've spent years gathering on my mum-in-law's family due to a computer collapse which my son needs to try and rescue when he has finally got some time, I have decided to use the gifted laptop to try to sort out some of my own Knight family.

My grandfather was JOHN THOMAS CHARLES WILLIAM KNIGHT  born 27th October 1894 in Leicester. He was very proud of his Irish gipsy roots.

JTCW was the son of JAMES KNIGHT AND ANNIE NORTH
JAMES was born in 1867 in Leicester.ANNIE was born in Newark, Notts in about 1871.

JAMES was the son of WILLIAM KNIGHT AND MARY ANN AKIENS.
WILLIAM was born christened on 23rd August 1822 in St Margaret's Parish Church in Leicester. He was listed on the census of 1881 as a traveller. He also operated as a General Dealer in1861 and 1871 apparently leaving Mary Ann to run the shop when he went travelling as in 1881. James and his older sister, Catherine, worked at the shop as 'chip choppers.'

It is known among the family that JAMES AND ANNIE had a fairground ride which they operated at the then Leicester Racecourse in Victoria Park  Certainly JTCW shared many of the travelling adventures of his father's life before having plenty of similar adventures himself so I have no reason to disbelieve the story about the fairground ride. These stories were told to my Dad and his two borthers before being told to me by Granddad then verified by Grandma, Dad and Uncles.

So, I have my Father, Grandfather, (JTCW) Great Grandfather, (JAMES) and Great, Great Grandfather (WILLIAM) but at this point it gets a bit murky. My first cousin once removed claims that WILLIAM was the son of a JOHN KNIGHTS AND SUSANNAH HERBERT. she won't discuss her version of the family tree with me so I don't know how she has verified that. Another, more distant relative seems fairly certain that WILLIAM'S parents were THOMAS KNIGHT AND CATHERINE HEMSLEY.
JOHN KNIGHT was born in 1795 in Lubenham, Leicestershire and married Susannah at Leicester St Margaret in 1814. My closer relative has credited them with siblings who's parents, from what I have looked at are, in fact, THOMAS KNIGHT and Catherine. Indeed, one of their sons became a Greengrocery Hawker, a trade my granddad undertook as one of his adventures, earning himself the nickname THE APPLE KING OF LEICESTER, another fact my Dad and Uncles were proud of.

I can't find a birth for THOMAS although a family tree on Ancestry has him listed as being born in Leicester in 1784, the only child of VALENTINE KNIGHT AND SARAH GROOM. VALETINE was born in Westminster in 1734 and was the sone of FRANCIS KNIGHT AND ANN YOUNG (FRANCIS was born in London in 1698.

I'm not really sure this fits in with the gipsy roots but can't find any other possibles for THOMAS' parents. Can anyone see anything I'm missing as neither Ancestry nor Family Search seem to be bringing up any information for THOMAS when I search

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.  :)
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Knight c1800
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:04 BST (UK) »
I realize this is not your initial question, but just in case you don't already have it...
Newark Holy Trinity R.C.
Baptism 6 Jan 1871 Ann Shelton dau of William & Charlotte North born 17 Dec 1870
Baptism 27 Oct 1874 George Henry son of William North and Charlotte Matlock born 7 Oct 1874.
I was hoping for an occupation for the father, sadly not mentioned.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:12 BST (UK) »
"WILLIAM was born christened on 23rd August 1822 in St Margaret's Parish Church in Leicester."

This baptism has the parents as Thomas and Catherine Knight https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NP46-7HP

1851 with mother in law Akiens
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGFL-ZK1
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
Just adding this from the GRO, while I'm looking

Birth
NORTH, ANN        MATLOCK        
GRO Reference: 1871  M Quarter in NEWARK  Volume 07B  Page 333

did an 1870 plus 2 years for Newark and the other is a birth 1869 mmn Wells
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 22:44 BST (UK) »
Have I got this right?

William's marriage to Mary 1840

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2D43-WFK

the marriage is online, my ref disc as

Entry No.467,  OCT 11, 1840, after Banns
WILLM. KNIGHT, minor, bach. LABOURER, of BELGRAVE GATE, s. of THOS. KNIGHT, WOOL COMBER
MARY ANN AKINS, minor, sp. of BELGRAVE GATE, d. of JOHN AKINS, WOOL COMBER
Wits: JOHN AKINS, SARAH AKINS

The occupation for Thomas on the 1822 baptism is woolcomber, Humberston Gate

Willsy

Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
looking at the baptisms, 1841?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQYP-FPQ

Bath Street

Catherine Knight 35    Leicestershire
Louisa Knight     13    Leicestershire
Elizabeth Knight   9    Leicestershire
Thomas Knight     7    Leicestershire
Joseph Knight      2    Leicestershire
William Knight    19    Leicestershire
Willsy

Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies. It seems that my William's parents were indeed Thomas and Catherine as William's occupation at the time of his marriage was a labourer and in 1841 he was listed on the census as an agricultural.. labourer. I now have William and Mary Ann's whereabouts traced from 1841 to 1891 and I think that William died in 1893.
I haven't started to research Annie North yet so the information you have shared will be very useful. I hadn't realised there might be a Roman Catholic branch of the family.
Are you able to see Thomas's christening by any chance? 'I think he was also christened at St Margaret.
Thanks again for the help.    :)
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 13:49 BST (UK) »
Could this be a match for Thomas Knight on the 1861 census? https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7T5-SF4

with a couple of possible baptism's  at Ashby....
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J3CH-R9J
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NP7H-94K