Author Topic: Wickham = Wycombe? TRUSS confusion.  (Read 3274 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wickham = Wycombe? TRUSS confusion.
« on: Tuesday 15 August 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
In the 1851 census, my ancestor says she was born about 1762 in Wickham, Buckinghamshire.

I am guessing this is Wycombe? But it seems there is a High Wycombe and a West Wycombe - which one would she be referring to?

Her maiden name was Ann Truss and she married Richard Hayes on 4 Oct 1801 in Shipbourne, Kent. However, that would put her at 39 when she married and she continued to have children through 1812, so I don't know how likely it was that a 50 year old woman had a baby.

Her husband is 100 years old in the census in 1851 (Shipborne). She is 88. In 1841 she is 75, which makes a bit more sense, but I know the census takers approximated the age.

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: Wickham = Wycombe? TRUSS confusion.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 16:12 BST (UK) »
According to Wikipedia, High Wycombe is often referred to just as Wycombe.
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
West Wycombe, was a few miles west from High Wycombe, on the Oxford Road(A40), but pretty much joined up now. There was also Chepping Wycombe, which was on the(A40), London side of High Wycombe.

West Wycombe is distinctly divided from Wycombe/High Wycombe, and has it's own church(St Lawrence).  Principaly, it was part of the dashwood Estate.

West Wycombe would also include Downley.

Check on Google maps, and all will be clearer.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
I've checked the PRs for both High Wycombe and West Wycombe  and there are no Truss baptisms in either. Of course, she may not have been baptised, or her family may have been nonconformist - which doesn't help, I know!

There is a Wickham in Berks, near Newbury, but if the census return definitely says Bucks...

Just to throw another red herring into the equation - there are lots of Trusses in Great Marlow, Bucks which is not that far from either of the Wycombes. I have Trusses from GM in my tree, which is why your post caught my eye.

One more thought occurs to me. Are you sure Truss is her maiden name? If she didn't marry Richard Hayes until she was 39, it seems likely that she may have been married previously. Could Truss have been her first married name?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:25 BST (UK) »
One other thing.....just becuase she is noted as from Wickham/Wycombe....does not mean she was actually from there.
It is entirely possible she was born near there.....and just gave Wickham as her general p.o.b.

Think about it......e.g..If she had said...'I'm from Downley'.  Would you ask....'Where is that'.   .....'Oh, it's near Wycombe', she may reply.

So, a baptism search is on the cards, I would think.  She may well be from High Wycome/Wycombe, but don't take that for granted.

http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/index.php/research/36-requested-searches/21-baptisms-searches

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:37 BST (UK) »
For what its worth, there is a baptism for an Ann Truss in Great Marlow (about 5 miles from High Wycombe) on 25 Nov 1770, daughter of Charles and Susannah. If I get chance later, I'll double check that she didn't die young.

Jill

ADDED: would you Adam & Eve it - she was buried 16 Dec 1770. Back to the drawing board!!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
I think a marriage, and baptism search maybe necessary. 

Have you seen the original marriage details/image for her marriage to Richard Hayes.?

Do not take online transcriptions as a certainty, because in general, they will not give the status of the the individual whether widowed or single.

Detailed PR's, are better from source.

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 18:09 BST (UK) »
I think a marriage, and baptism search maybe necessary. 

Have you seen the original marriage details/image for her marriage to Richard Hayes.?

Do not take online transcriptions as a certainty, because in general, they will not give the status of the the individual whether widowed or single.

Detailed PR's, are better from source.

Hi Steve,

No I haven't seen it - I am in the States and all I can find online are transcriptions, having well overspent my budget already on subscriptions and orders for various records. I think that is an interesting theory that she could have been a widow.

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 18:10 BST (UK) »
For what its worth, there is a baptism for an Ann Truss in Great Marlow (about 5 miles from High Wycombe) on 25 Nov 1770, daughter of Charles and Susannah. If I get chance later, I'll double check that she didn't die young.

Jill

ADDED: would you Adam & Eve it - she was buried 16 Dec 1770. Back to the drawing board!!

Ah, that's too bad this was not her, as my Ann Truss did have a daughter baptised named Susan and the name doesn't come from her husband's side as far as I can tell.