Author Topic: Wickham = Wycombe? TRUSS confusion.  (Read 3251 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wickham = Wycombe? TRUSS confusion.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 18:27 BST (UK) »
For what its worth, there is a baptism for an Ann Truss in Great Marlow (about 5 miles from High Wycombe) on 25 Nov 1770, daughter of Charles and Susannah. If I get chance later, I'll double check that she didn't die young.

Jill

ADDED: would you Adam & Eve it - she was buried 16 Dec 1770. Back to the drawing board!!

I also see another Ann Truss baptised in 1772 to the same couple, but there is also an Ann Truss who marries John MOODY in 1795 in Great Marlow, so probably that is the same person, as 1772 is a bit late anyway.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 20:47 BST (UK) »
I would advise a search from BucksFHS.  Whether, burial, baptism or marriage for Ann Truss, if indeed that is her maiden name.
Burials will be important, as that will eliminate false leads.

There is a token payment of £1 for each search, for a 100 year period of an individual in Buckinghamshire.  So for £3, you will get what you possibly need.

BucksFHS will always give whatever informaton is in the Parish Register, for any event.  They do not hold any information for marriages that occured in Registry Offices, only Church events.

In my case, after 1838, I could have saved a fortune on marriage certs, if I had gone to BucksFHS first. £1 search, instead of just over £9 per cert.  Same info as a cert.

I'm sorry to sound like a salesman. ;D

Good luck, and good hunting.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline james52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
This thread caught my eye due to discussion of West Wycombe. I have traced family back to a Thomas (1786-1836) and Hannah Tanner (1790-1860) from West Wycombe.

- 1841 and 1851 census shows Hannah's place of birth as West Wycombe.
- FamilySearch index of England marriages shows a Thomas Tanner marrying Hannah Hawes in West Wycombe on 24 Aug 1807.
- Various family trees on Ancestry.com show Hannah Hawes descended from the Wheeler family - multiple generations of Wheelers going back to late 1600s, all with places of birth given as West Wycombe.

I am keen to get better certainty of Hannah being descended from the Wheelers, but not certain what is the best source to turn to. Would appreciate any thoughts on best place to start.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 11:35 BST (UK) »
This thread caught my eye due to discussion of West Wycombe. I have traced family back to a Thomas (1786-1836) and Hannah Tanner (1790-1860) from West Wycombe.

- 1841 and 1851 census shows Hannah's place of birth as West Wycombe.
- FamilySearch index of England marriages shows a Thomas Tanner marrying Hannah Hawes in West Wycombe on 24 Aug 1807.
- Various family trees on Ancestry.com show Hannah Hawes descended from the Wheeler family - multiple generations of Wheelers going back to late 1600s, all with places of birth given as West Wycombe.

I am keen to get better certainty of Hannah being descended from the Wheelers, but not certain what is the best source to turn to. Would appreciate any thoughts on best place to start.

From a personal perspective, you may be better off doing your own thread. This way, any answers given will not be entwined in anothers research.

As for other peoples trees.  Only use them as guidance, as many may have the same errors.  It pays to do your own research, and satisfy your self. There are no short cuts to be had, if you want the right answers.

You are looking for Wheelers and Tanners, not the name of Truss.  Location is one thing, names are another. ;D

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline james52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 13:33 BST (UK) »
As for other peoples trees.  Only use them as guidance, as many may have the same errors.  It pays to do your own research, and satisfy your self. There are no short cuts to be had, if you want the right answers.

Spot on - I've seen some strange trees on Ancestry - including someone who apparently went from England to America in 1850s, then came back to England in time to appear in 1861 census. Quite some travelling for a lacemaker with 8 children!