Author Topic: Newsagent 1891  (Read 1232 times)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Newsagent 1891
« on: Tuesday 15 August 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
What would a newsagent be doing in Huddersfield in 1891?  Running a shop, also selling stationery and other small goods perhaps, or collecting the newspapers from the train station and distributing them?

Or could he have been a kind of reporter acting as an agent/informant for newspapers?

In 1861/71 he was blowing glass in Hunslet and in 1881 he was a general labourer in Sandal Magna.  He died not long after the 1891 census.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Newsagent 1891
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
My gt grandfather was according to the 1911 census a Newsagent.  My father told me that he used to sell newspapers from the corner of a street  ::)

Prior to that he was a 'greengrocer'  - newspaper reports indicate he was selling from a horse & cart  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:17 BST (UK) »
Yes Rosie, I did wonder if he might have been a street vendor but thought probably not as his son aged 18 is listed as 'ditto (=newsagent) assistant' which sounds a bit more businessy (if that's a word).  Maybe the youngster took over when it got chilly :D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
You could be right about the son - maybe he did the early shift  ;D

Have you tried trade directories.    Would it be better to tell us who you are asking about

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 18:32 BST (UK) »
I've only recently come back to this family, but do recall finding nothing helpful in trade directories a couple of years back.

The name is Henry PENNISTON - at least it is in 1891 - it's a surname with umpteen variations ::)
He was at 18 Charles Street, Huddersfield (RG12/3566/97/33) which I believe is now under a car park or similar.

This isn't my usual area of research, in fact I've never been there, but it's part of OH's paternal line and I've rather neglected it recently.  If it turns out that Henry had his own shop, he'll be OH's first capitalist ;D
(But if it turns that he stood in the rain hawking the local rag, we won't be surprised!)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 August 17 12:36 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay Carol   :-[

The 1881 & 1901 don't seem to have a newsagent in Charles Street which is a shame.  I can't see anything else though I don't have access to Huddersfield records not online.

Rosie

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 August 17 12:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for checking Rosie :)

Maybe he just said 'newsagent' because it sounded a bit smarter than street vendor :-\
(His younger brother was a local Steptoe, going about with a cart buying and selling scrap metal, rags etc for cash.  In 1881 he called himself an iron broker.)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 August 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
They seem to be able to call themselves what they like  ;D