Author Topic: Obituary Lookup Request - Herbert Hardwick, Gateshead  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Sailormannn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Obituary Lookup Request - Herbert Hardwick, Gateshead
« on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there ... Can anyone help me find an obituary for a "Herbert Hardwick" who lived in Felling, Gateshead, Durham. I haven't been able to find any reference online other than from the Civil Registration Death Index that has his death in July, August or September 1970 in Gateshead.

BIRTH: 10 JUN 1888 • Felling, Durham, England
DEATH: July, August or September 1970 • Gateshead, Durham, England

Herbert was the Manager of the Station Hotel on Carlisle Street (now called the Old Fox).

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary Lookup Request - Herbert Hardwick, Gateshead
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 19:59 BST (UK) »
Your profile doesn't say where you are based. Its unlikely that information this recent is online in any of the newspapers databases.
IF you are in the North East, then Newcastle Libraries is your best bet. They have newspapers on microfilm that can be freely accessed to see IF there is anything in a local newspaper.

NB this would involve trawling through 3 months of newspapers day by day (to cover the quarter in which his death was registered) day by day to see IF there is a death notice to get a definite date of death. From there another week or so to see if there was an actual obituary. So though its do-able if you really want the info and can get there and spend the time, its a big ask for someone to do a look up.

I checked, there isn't an entry in the probate calendar to match the year and location, so that's a no go for narrowing down the date of death. No entry in the Saltwell Crematorium or Birtley Crematorium (long shot) Book of Remembrance so that's not going to help narrow down the d.o.d. either. Burial records for Gateshead East or Saltwell for such a recent date are not online .

Other than getting a death cert to ascertain his d.o.d. I am stumped for more resources for such a recent date.

Sorry

Boo

Offline Sailormannn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 20:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for checking Boo ... It's a difficult one for sure. We are located in Canada so not able to check the library records in person. As you say, trawling through 3 months of papers would be a big task. I was hoping there was on online source we haven't found. I suppose getting a death certificate might be a good next step. Is it possible to order one without the exact date of death.

Much appreciated. 

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for checking Boo ... It's a difficult one for sure. We are located in Canada so not able to check the library records in person. As you say, trawling through 3 months of papers would be a big task. I was hoping there was on online source we haven't found. I suppose getting a death certificate might be a good next step. Is it possible to order one without the exact date of death.

Much appreciated.

Given you are so far away, I would go and look for you but I am in Scotland and its a fair trek for me - though not so far as you!

It is possible to get a death cert with just the year and quarter, though there is a cost of £9.25.
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ 
Go to that site and you can order a copy using the details you have from Free BMD.

Armed with the actual date of death, come back and request a look up in the local newspapers ( most likely to be the Newcastle Evening Chronicle) to see IF there is a death notice in the newspapers.
Though do be aware that it will, most likely, just give details of where the burial was to take place, In my (limited) experience obituaries, as perhaps may have been printed in Canadian newspapers are rare in the UK unless the person was a local dignitary or something like that, we tended to just say Fred Bloggs died on such and such a date, funeral will take place at x, followed by burial/cremation at y.

Though I didn't find an entry in the Books of Remembrance for either Crematorium, that doesn't mean that he wasn't cremated, could just be that the family chose not to place an entry in the book.

Boo

Offline Sailormannn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 22:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks. All very helpful. Quick question: I checked the GRO online index and digitized records are only available to 1957. Can I order for 1970 through the GRO. Ancestry wants 23 pounds if I order through them. Much appreciated.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 02:57 BST (UK) »
I would always advise going direct via the GRO. Even from outside the UK it can be done online with payment by card, and should take around 2 weeks to reach you by post.

The online deaths index on the GRO site is only currently available to 1957, but that is the index only which would be used to find the GRO reference. You will be able to order the death cert online, even if you didn't know the GRO reference.

FreeBMD     https://www.freebmd.org.uk   has the entry you want and the reference you need is

Year:1970
Quarter:  Jul/Aug/Sep
District : Durham N.E.
Volume: 1a
Page: 1000

(I checked the transcribed reference against the image of the published GRO register and its correct)

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 22:05 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

Perhaps some kind person may be able to check the burial registers for you at Tyne and Wear Archives.  Or the cremation register.  I am working long hours at the moment otherwise I would have gone to the archives for you.

If you could narrow things down by getting this date then it would do much easier to find any write up in a newspaper - such as the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.

If someone could narrow things down by finding out the burial or cremation date I should be able to get to the library over the next 2 weeks and check the newspapers. 

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Sailormannn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 August 17 03:38 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

Perhaps some kind person may be able to check the burial registers for you at Tyne and Wear Archives.  Or the cremation register.  I am working long hours at the moment otherwise I would have gone to the archives for you.

If you could narrow things down by getting this date then it would do much easier to find any write up in a newspaper - such as the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.

If someone could narrow things down by finding out the burial or cremation date I should be able to get to the library over the next 2 weeks and check the newspapers.

Thanks for the post. I ordered today from the GRO a death certificate for Hardwick to narrow down the date and maybe provide some other clues. I'll check back in once I get the certificate. Thanks again.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 August 17 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Sailormannn

Here is the death notice which is on page 2 of the Evening Chronicle dated Monday, August 24 1970:

'HARDWICK.  Leam Lane, 40 Oakwood, on August 22, aged 82 years, Herbert, dearly loved husband of Mary Hardwick, and dear father of Henry, father-in-law of Freda, and grand-dad of Mary, Elizabeth and Harry.  Funeral service and cremation at Windsor Road Crematorium, Birtley, on Wednesday at 10.30 a.m.  Will friends please meet at Crematorium.  No flowers or letters by request.'

I have had an unexpected chance to look this up today so decided to go for it.  This newspaper notice is held on microfilm at Newcastle City Library.

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner