Author Topic: Gordon families in Dull and Blair Atholl parishes  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gordon families in Dull and Blair Atholl parishes
« on: Tuesday 15 August 17 23:26 BST (UK) »
We think that virtually all of the Gordon families in the parishes of Dull and Blair Atholl originated with the Gordons living at Carrick in Glen Fincastle.

If you have Gordon ancestors from these areas please check our information or provide additions. 

The families seem to have spread to Perth, Edinburgh, Lanark, Fife, Dublin and Canada.

http://www.borenich.co.uk/Ross_Document/Gordon_Carrick.html

Thanks, Throth

Offline Crystal Gordon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon families in Dull and Blair Atholl parishes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
 Donald Gordon and Christian McLaren, Brudenell Pioneers Are my 4th great grandparents, loved your information it assisted me greatly with completing my family tree!
Henry Gordon(1797 - 1863)  and  Margaret MacDonald, 3rd Great grandparents
William Gordon (Death:JAN 15, 1916,Brudenell River, P.E.I., Canada) and Jane Scrimgeour
2nd great-grandparents
Charles Gordon (1886 - 1943) and Daisy Langley James (1898–1986) great grandparents

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 22:29 GMT (UK) »
If you would like to provide information we can it to the web-pages.  Likewise, if there are errors in the records please let us know and they can be corrected.

Carrick is a fair walk in from Glen Fincastle and a stiff climb up from the Blair Atholl side.  Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were taken up Tulloch on horseback by a ghillie, during one of their visits, to see the magnificent view.  They would have been very close to Carrick.  It is also special in having some limestone pavement, which is quite rare in Scotland.  The influence of the lime would have helped the growth of grass, rather than heather, so good for farming.

Offline Angela willott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 May 19 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi  I am doing my family history and Donald Gordon and Christina McLaren are my 6th ? Great grandparents they immigrated on ship "commerce" . Son Henry Gordon born about Aug 1797 Perthshire married Margaret McDonald about 1820 Prince Edward island. Son Capt. James Gordon born about 1823 Brudnell lot 52 King's PEI. Died Portland Multnomah Oregon. Married Jane McLaren (Christina was her great aunt) on 5 Jan 1860 Queens, PEI. I only knew of a sister Isabel born 1826, died 24/2/1899 PEI. I did not know about your William which is exciting! James and Jane had J. Kelso, Ada, Hattie, Charles, lieutenant McLaren Gordon, and Dr of Archaeology George Gordon. Charles Henry Gordon married Amy Hilda May Sloggett my great grandmother who I remember she died about 1985.

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 May 19 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela,

We have no birth for William Gordon and do not know his age when he died.

It would also be very useful if you could provide us with dates etc for the children of Captain James, so that we can up-date the web-page.

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)