Author Topic: William Scott born Pontypridd 1878  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Scott born Pontypridd 1878
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 August 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
George was still landlord of the Narrow Gauge Inn in November 1892, when he was done for selling beer on a Sunday

1895 saw a case between Bill and his half brother John William Rees, who'd taken over the Narrow Gauge over betting debts. That was also the year his wife died after a stomach op in London. the news item mentions friends meeting the bereaved husband, but nothing of the son

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3098970/3098976/49/

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 August 17 23:02 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Mabel. The lease on the Great Western came up for auction on the 28th July 1891 and I had presumed that George had taken over from that date. It seems that he didn't, though I suppose it's possible that he ran the Great Western and the Narrow Gauge at the same time.

I presume you have no link to a report of the 1895 case? This interests me since I had thought that John William Rees had taken over the Narrow Gauge from his parents William Rees and Sarah (the mother of William Scott). I was unaware that any betting debt was involved.

Thanks for the report on the death of William's wife. I  was unaware of the circumstances.

Your depth of knowledge suggests that you are related to this family. Is this so?

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 August 17 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Mabel. I've been checking my facts. I seem to be getting confused. Not an unusual occurrence for me. It seems to me that William Rees and Sarah ran the Narrow Gauge Inn when it was known as The Green Fields of Erin. (If anyone knows different, please put me right). The running of this pub seems to have passed to George Scott (brother of William) and then to John William Rees. Having hopefully cleared that up, I'm still interested in the betting debt case.

I know this has wandered off topic (what happened to Willie?) but, as you seem to know, this lot are all related.

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 August 17 12:16 BST (UK) »
I have found the betting case, so no need for a link.

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
For anyone whose interested. It would appear that William 'Willie' Scott married Sarah Ann Turnton (daughter of William Turnton, glass blower) on the 10th June 1899 at St Luke's Church, West Ham, Essex. He used the name 'William Reece Scott'. Anyone wanting further information can contact me.