Author Topic: Fuji Camera Problem  (Read 1051 times)

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fuji Camera Problem
« on: Wednesday 16 August 17 10:49 BST (UK) »
I have a Fuji FinePix F30 camera which deletes from the memory card without being asked. Initially I thought I had pressed the Delete All function so I was very careful the next just to delete what I wished, sure enough it deleted some other pictures as well. I put it aside and used the wife's camera instead. When I went back to the Fuji it had deleted everything without being asked.

I bought a new XD card and shot some more pictures but with the same result, it made no difference. I also made sure the battery on each occasion was fully charged.

Any clues as to how this can be overcome?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuji Camera Problem
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 11:28 BST (UK) »
Has it just started doing it, if not there may be a fault in the camera, as it should ask you for confirmation before it deletes multiple photos. You could try taking it back to factory settings and see if that solves it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
I don't know whether this is helpful but it's maybe worth checking. I don't have a Fujii camera and I've just quickly scanned the owners manual online: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/manuals/pdf/index/f/finepix_f30_manual_01.pdf

From page 76 the manual talks about setting the 'Playback Mode'. One of these is automatic continuous playback. Pages 81-82 talk about setting 'Erase mode' - I think during playback.

It's just possible that an accidental combination of these settings is automatically deleting your photo's whenever you view them. Or automatically playing them back as you take them and then immediately deleting them.

I agree with Groom's suggestion. Reset the camera back to factory settings and take a few test photos. If it doesn't clear the problem, take it to a camera shop.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
My camera will completely delete the contents of another cameras sd card on insertion.

Is the sd card full and trying to make room for more photos by deleting older ones?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 14:46 BST (UK) »
The Fuji film site offers fixed price repairs on some of their range, comes with a full one year new warranty on the entire product.

Mike

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 16:42 BST (UK) »
My camera will completely delete the contents of another cameras sd card on insertion.

Is the sd card full and trying to make room for more photos by deleting older ones?

My cameras do completely the opposite! I have a Fuji Finepix (can't remember model) and a Sony digital SLR. Both use a SD card. I got a new card, formatted it in the Fuji and took some pictures which it put in a folder called Fuji. I took the card out to transfer pictures to my laptop, then forgot it was the Fuji's card and put it in my Sony camera. It quite happily made its own folder and stored its pictures in a Sony folder without affecting the Fuji ones.
My Fuji is quite old now but I have never had a problem with it deleting things of its own accord.

I did once rather foolishly edit some pictures and resave them on the card, instead of editing the version that I had transferred to PC. The camera knew the edited pictures were there but couldn't read them. But there was no problem reading card on the PC again so they weren't lost.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
. The users manual, which I have, has been of no help.The camera  uses an XD card not an SD card

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 August 17 10:40 BST (UK) »
Your camera is quite old by digital standards and unfortunately components can fail. The delete button may be sticking, or the contacts may be worn. Either way, it is probably time to think about a new camera. 

The recovery program Recuva (free download) should be able to retrieve your deleted photos from the card.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 August 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who have replied, but none of your suggestions were any help, thanks all the same.However I phoned Fuji's Help Line - I know I should have thought of that first- and the lad said that if I "FORMAT" the XD cards that would probably fix my fault, as the cards have never been formatted since 2007 I gave it a go and the problem seems to have been resolved