Author Topic: Raleigh Hall, Stourbridge  (Read 1371 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Raleigh Hall, Stourbridge
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
I see there is a Raleigh Hall industrial estate on the map which may have inherited the name from a previous establtshment.

That's exactly right - see:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarnfield
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bagnol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks again ShaunJ

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 18:55 BST (UK) »
In 1946 Post Office Telephones took over the accommodation blocks for their new Telephone Training School. My father was a Liverpool telephone engineer and when he was demobbed in 1946 he returned to his job and shortly afterwards he was told he was moving to Staffordshire to be a trainer at the new training school.

I can't remember where we lived to start with ( before my time!) and then we moved to the one brick built building at 1 Raleigh Hall. I think this would be what is described as the manager's house in the extract given above.

I have no relocation of living there but I do remember going back aged 5 ish and attending Sunday School in the air raid shelters.

Raleigh Hall was used to house Ugandan refugees and after that became an industrial estate. When I visited the area a couple of years ago I noticed there are a few original buildings on site. The site office which was where I was born which was still a flat roofed bungalow 10 years or so ago now has a first floor.

There are some photos on a Staffordshire site, I will have to find out which one. The few photos of that time I have show people not buildings.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 19:10 BST (UK) »
The website I mentioned above is www.staffspasttrack.org.uk use Yarnfield in the search box. Unfortunately there don't seem to be any photos of Raleigh Hall there but you can get done idea of the accommodation.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 August 17 19:36 BST (UK) »
I've remembered that somewhere I have an article about the Ammunition works and accommodation that I got a few years ago. Please respond if you are interested and I will look it out.