Author Topic: TANNER/HAWES/WHEELER families, from West Wycombe  (Read 1283 times)

Offline james52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TANNER/HAWES/WHEELER families, from West Wycombe
« on: Wednesday 16 August 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
I have traced family back to a Thomas (1786-1836) and Hannah Tanner (1790-1860) from West Wycombe.

- 1841 and 1851 census shows Hannah's place of birth as West Wycombe.
- FamilySearch index of England marriages shows a Thomas Tanner marrying Hannah Hawes in West Wycombe on 24 Aug 1807.
- Various family trees on Ancestry.com include Hannah Hawes descended from the Wheeler family - multiple generations of Wheelers going back to late 1600s, all with places of birth given as West Wycombe.

I am keen to get better certainty of Hannah being descended from the Wheelers rather than rely on others' research without verifying, but not certain what is the best source to turn to. Would appreciate any thoughts on best place to start, or to hear from others with knowledge of these families.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: TANNER/HAWES/WHEELER families, from West Wycombe
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I totally agree with not relying on other people's online trees. Infact, I'd go so far as to say 'ignore them and do your own thing'.

Not sure exactly what connection you are looking to establish between Hannah Hawes and this mysterious Wheeler family of West Wycombe but from what little I've done to find Hannah's birth/baptism ( assuming the connection would have to be on the female side), I can't see it.

Hannah Hawes was baptised in W Wycombe 18 July 1790, daughter of John and Jane. No marriage for John and Jane in W Wycombe but there is one in nearby Radnage on 15 Feb 1790 between John Haws and Jane Stone.

Not sure where that leaves the Wheeler connection, unless its a lot further back.

I would agree with bucksboy that your best bet is probably to get a couple of name searches done by Bucks FHS - very quick and inexpensive. Or, you could invest in their CD of W Wycombe PRs. have a look on their website. They are always very helpful.

Have you any clues as to where this Wheeler connection is supposed to come in?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline james52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 19:36 BST (UK) »
Have you any clues as to where this Wheeler connection is supposed to come in?

I found the following sourced from the indexes "England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975" and "Select Marriages", accessible through Ancestry.com. I believe these are transcripts from parish records. It would be good to know whether people think these indexes are reliable, but ultimately I'd like to verify them independently:

John Hawes, baptised West Wycombe, 23 October 1763, son of James and Hesther Hawes.

James Hawes married Hesther Wheeler, West Wycombe on 29 Dec 1748.

Hesther Wheeler baptised West Wycombe, 03 May 1724, daughter of Thomas and Mary Wheeler

Thomas Wheeler and Mary Boddy married West Wycombe 11 Oct 1722

Thomas Wheeler baptised 21 Jun 1696 West Wycombe, son of Thomas and Susannah Wheeler

Thomas Wheeler and Susannah Grey married West Wycombe, 8 Sep 1689

I can't find a reliable match for this Thomas Wheeler snr - the index mentioned above has a Thomas Wheelers christened 1665 Wolverton, and one christened 1665 Aylesbury.

Given at least 3 generations of Wheelers all born West Wycombe I hoped I might find others who had researched them.

The CD sounds like a wise investment, will look into it, thanks

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 August 17 00:55 BST (UK) »
Those may well be right, but how many other similar baptims occured in West Wycombe.  Just because they 'fit', does not mean that they are right.

'Select', is not all.  There could be other baptisms of the same name, in a similar time period.

Plucking just one or two, without verifying any others is not the way to do it.  There are no details with those transcripts, as there are with the BucksFHS transcripts.

You are doomed to failure, if that is your course of action.  You cannot do it 'on the cheap'.!!

But like I said, they may well be right.  But who knows.

One other thing, place of baptism is no guarantee of place of birth. I have family born Hughenden, Bucks, baptised at West Wycombe, and vice versa. Also, born London, baptised at Great Missenden, Bucks.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 August 17 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I checked the first couple of W Wycombe entries you listed, and they're right.

The 1689 marriage between Thomas Wheeler and Susannah was by licence so, if you can lay your hands on a copy, it may tell you where he's from as there is no baptism for him in WW.

bucksboy is right, though, you need to do this methodically, working backwards. So those Bucks FHS  name searches look like your best bet.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 August 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
I have the Marriage Bonds list(which was a Free Download) from the Bucks Archives(CBS), there are no Wheelers licences before 1741, and nothing for West Wycombe on the list for Wheelers.

I'm not sure how comprehensive it is, but there are nearly 15,000 Grooms names on it, with corresponding spouses.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/