Author Topic: Goode family of Barby 1700s  (Read 726 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Goode family of Barby 1700s
« on: Wednesday 16 August 17 14:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks to the marriage allegations I have just found on findmypast, I know know that my ancestor Elizabeth Goode who married Moses Cowley in Willoughby in 1759 was from Barby.

Her age was 21 and upwards and a William Goode of Barby is named on and signed the allegation/bond.

The parish registers for Barby appear to be missing from the end of the 1574 to 1747 but they are partly filled by the Bishop's Transcripts from 1707 (although 1708 is missing).

There is an Elizabeth Goode baptised in Barby in 1738 and while the BTs do not name the parents, the parish registers from 1748 show from other baptisms that she must have been the daughter of William Goode and his wife Mary.

William and Mary Goode must have married before 1738 (although I have not found a marriage) and had the following children:

Elisabeth/Elizabeth Goode/Cowley 1738–1789
Sarah Goode 1740–
Mary Goode 1742–
Ann Goode 1742–1744
William Goode 1748–
Hester Goode 1750–
Meliscent/Millicent Goode/Lowke 1755–1788 

William was buried aged 64 on 26 July 1776 at Barby so born c1711-1712. However the Goode family is not in the BTs for this period so he must have been born elsewhere.

His Administration was on 4 June 1777 at the Archdeaconry Court of Northampton and there was an advert placed in the Northampton Mercury about his estate on 30 June 1777. A William Goode of West Haddon is named and I assume is his son born that was born in 1748.

I am trying to find out more about the Goode family of Barby and would really appreciate and further assistance anyone could please give me.

Many thanks,
Jon

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Goode family of Barby 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
Have you explored the Good(e) families over the border in Warwickshire as Barby is on the county border.  There seem to be some in neighbouring parishes?

I see there's a Will of an Edward Goode of Braunston proven in 1755 who was a shepherd, although from a quick glance I can't see a burial from him in the parish on Ancestry but may have been wrongly transcribed.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day