Author Topic: Death by accidental??  (Read 5638 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death by accidental??
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 17 August 17 19:20 BST (UK) »
A cousin of mine died by accidental drowning in the 1870s so I know that the term is used.

Added - I really think that the death certificate is the only other way of finding out. I've done a quick check on newspapers.

Was this burial record from an online source - can't find it on any of the sites I use but am getting impatient with them  :-X
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 17 August 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
One thing that I was concerned with was the o in drowning (or whatever)as it looked like an i . I've now found the record and here's an example of an unclosed i in Herington.

add - r is the same too.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 17 August 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
I`m not at all sure there is a missing capital letter, if you look at the d in accidental
it looks the same as the one which starts the word we are  struggling with,  if you discount  the marks going down the edge of the page which have been thought to be a capital letter then the word starts with d.
So drowning- the ing bit on the line below,with a horizontal dash to show it is part of the word started on the line above.
So:-drown
        -ing.

The marks at the left side seem to be numbers and not part of the mystery word.
In my humble opinion,Viktoria.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 18 August 17 10:38 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose this adds much to the debate but this mod and Gadget's example of the "unclosed" "o" has persuaded me of the "drowning" option

Regards
Roger