Author Topic: looking for information on w.f.taylor from whitley bay  (Read 2329 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: looking for information on w.f.taylor from whitley bay
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 August 17 09:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, that would be okay with me.  Although I must confess I don't know know much about the buddy list on here apart from knowing that this exists : ;)

I don't know if the Wiliam in the articles that have been mentioned is your ancestor but I am sure that as you begin to find out more you will be able to confirm or refute this with a degree of certainty.

I hope you do go on enjoy this family history hobby as much as I do.  I find this totally fascinating and addictive especially when you get on the thrill of a chase or when trying to solve dead ends. :). Please don't give up if this turns out not to be your ancestor with perseverance I am sure you will be able to get to uncover the past.   :)

I will definitely get back to you within a couple of weeks to let you know if there is anything in the Whitley Bay paper. I will also see if the North Shields library has your ancestor 's baptism entry at St Paul.  I am hoping he will be there as if so his birth date will likely also be on.  My  Mother and an uncle and some aunts were baptised there and all their birthdays were recorded too.

Best Wishes with this ongoing research! :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
He was baptised as William Foster Taylor at St Paul,  on October 13 1880.
Entry No: 203
Parents: William Alexander & Caroline Taylor
Address: Whitley
Trade or Profession: looks like 'Buleter'

Unfortunately, the Church didn't include the birth date then.  This record is on microfilm at North Shields library.  Also unfortunately, I can't see any reference to the crime in the Whitley Bay newspaper.  This is probably because William had his trial in North Shields.  Have you been able to view the Shields Daily News articles?

Best Wishes with your research :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline neiltaylor999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
i have just realised when you said his trade his dad was a butcher must be bad writing or a print error Angela... :) :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
I thought 'buleter' didn't make sense. .. I thought this must be a strange trade I have never heard of. ;). If you get a chance to see the record for yourself you will see that it does seem to read as this.  Perhaps this is just a case of rushed writing by the person who filled out the entry.   :)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

Marriage 1885 QDec Gateshead 10a 1051 William Taylor / Caroline Gillings

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 14:40 BST (UK) »

Interestingly . . . . .

TAYLOR, HENRY  [ mmn Gillings ]
1871  D Quarter in BETHNAL GREEN  Volume 01C  Page 28

TAYLOR, EDMUND  JOHN [ mmn Gillings ]
 1876  J Quarter in BETHNAL GREEN  Volume 01C  Page 261

TAYLOR, JOSEPH  JAMES       [ mmn Gillings ]         
 1878  M Quarter in BETHNAL GREEN  Volume 01C  Page 260

TAYLOR, WILLIAM         [ mmn Gillings ]       
 1879  D Quarter in BETHNAL GREEN  Volume 01C  Page 213

TAYLOR, ALBERT  JAMES [ mmn Gillings ]
 1887  D Quarter in TYNEMOUTH  Volume 10B  Page 212

TAYLOR, JOHN  ANDREW [ mmn Gillings ]
 1890  M Quarter in TYNEMOUTH  Volume 10B  Page 225
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
The William Taylor whom I found baptised at St Paul is likely to be this one:

William Forster Taylor
Registered December quarter 1880
Tynemouth
Vol: 10B Page 173
Mmn: Gillings

I thought the William referred to in the previous post may have been a child who died and then the second William was born.  I can't seem to find a child of this name whose death would fit in before the next William's birth.  This is puzzling.  Perhaps Neil may have some theories on this.  The plot thickens! ;)

Or could the two Williams belong to two separate families with parents of the same names?

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 22:29 BST (UK) »

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 August 17 07:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,

I have some potential exciting information for you - there is a possibility that your Grandfather's photo may be at Tyne and Wear Archives! I don't know why this hadn't occurred to me sooner.  They have a massive sized book with criminal mugshots of people who committed crime in the North Shields area at that time. Literally hundreds of photos!  The reference is:

DX1388/1

Or just tell the staff you wish to look at the criminal mugshots for North Shields.  The date of conviction and the person's name is written under each photo.

My own Great Grandfather had a nephew who was convicted of a crime in 1911 and a very good photo of him is in the book.  (These photos are black and white but of very good clear quality.)I purchased my ancestor's   mugshot by buying a day licence to take my own photo of this for £10.  For this you can also take photos of other records such as entries on bmd registers.  You have to sign an agreement to say that you won't give copies of the photos you take to others.  Or you could ask the staff to take a copy of a photo for you - I can't remember now if this would cost £10 or a little bit more.

I don't wish to build your hopes up too much in case his photo is not there but this is probably worth looking into.

When you first visit the Archives (which is free) you will need to take proof of name and address.  Lockers are free.  Any writing in a notebook has to be done in pencil and not a pen.

I really hope that your Grandfather is there! :)