Author Topic: Looking for my great, great, great grandfather....HELP!!  (Read 2272 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for my great, great, great grandfather....HELP!!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
Robert and Elizabeth married in Ireland, then came to Glasgow, as far as I am aware

Unlikely - nothing on the 1841/51/61 Scottish censuses for Robert and no death on Scotlands People in 1865 which made me wonder whether assumptions had been made based on the info on his sons marriage cert.  If he had been found on a census - you would have his birthdate.

Using a rough birthyear of 1811-1815 and Lanarkshire - SP has no death between 1855-1865 so my guess is he died in Ireland.

Son John was born there

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 20:33 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure the John McClure in 1861 Census is the right man - he is shown as single and a Coal Miner - born Ireland.

The marriage in 1865 shows John McClure was a labourer, and a widower (with parents as previously given).

I agree with former comments - marriage certificate shows Robert McClure as deceased by 1865 (so could have died anytime between John's birth ca.1834 and 1865 - certificate also shows his mother Elizabeth was deceased by 1865.

You say John McClure died 1918 but where was this?   Cannot see in Scotland or England.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 22:50 BST (UK) »
Apart from 1871 - I can't see them on any other census up to 1901.  There is a John McClure b 1838 Ireland occ bootmaker on the 1901 in Cambusnethan but he has a daughter Mary Ann b 1865 living with him.

Are you certain your friend has researched the right John McClure?

John McClure 33 b Ireland - labourer
Ann     32 b Ireland
James  4 b Forfar
John  1 b Glasgow
Glasgow College ED 26 Page 18 Line 13

Which of John's children are you descended from?  If it is a child born after 1871 - what was the name and where & when was it born
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 23:01 BST (UK) »
They are in Dundee in 1881 with children James age 14 ( James Rody Mcclure was born in Dundee in 1866) and Susan 9 ( born Glasgow 1872). Ann is down as Jane A for some reason. Ann C McClure is still in Dundee in 1891 along with James and Susan. She shows as 'married' but no sign of John. Think in 1901 Ann may be the Annie McLure, age 61, widow, born Cavan, Ireland, living at 260 High Street, Glasgow.
Ann Caldwell or Mcclure died in Govan in 1918 age 79.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 23:08 BST (UK) »
His son was John McClure, 1834-1918, who married Ann Caldwell, 1837-1918

So Ann died in 1918 but John died possibly before 1891 but definitely before 1901

Offline FMFRANKO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 August 17 09:18 BST (UK) »
They were Catholic, from Ireland. Sorry, have no further information. You can see why I'm struggling!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 August 17 15:46 BST (UK) »
From the limited info available there is nothing to support your statement that Robert came to live in Scotland.  Son John was born in Ireland and cannot be found on any census before 1871 if we accept he is not the 1861 entry I found.

All indications are that Robert lived/married/died in Ireland

Like many of us with Irish ancestors you will struggle as info and records for that period are sparse and you have no info about where or when Robert was born