Author Topic: Using FindMyPast for Catholic Parish Registers  (Read 611 times)

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Using FindMyPast for Catholic Parish Registers
« on: Wednesday 16 August 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
This relates to my earlier post concerning Place of Birth on Death Cert' and James Devauden.

First, a complaint. I've never been a member of FindMyPast. On the rare occasions I've needed something from the site I've asked a colleague to look it up for me. However, my current research suggests that FindMyPast would be the only source of records available, so I signed up for the so-called free trial (credit card details required). Low and behold, the first record I try to view, from the 1939 Register, can't be viewed without an upgrade! And, the so-called month free trial only lasts for 14 days! I guess this last point is caused by the trial always expiring on the last day of the month.

Anyway, my real issue is availability of catholic parish records for St Peter the Apostle Catholic Church in Leamington Spa, in particular, baptism records. The church website states "All our sacramental registers have been digitised and are available to view on the Find My Past website." However, try as I might, I could not find these baptism records. Confirmation records were available, but as soon as I selected the 'Baptism and Marriage' record set there were no records returned. Had anyone had similar issues? Maybe the set is not actually available, or maybe I'm not specifying the correct search criteria. Perhaps if someone has access they could let me know. Thanks, Chris.

Update - I found what I was looking for - they are there, but had to be accessed via a different search route. Currently ploughing through the 300+ records of interest.

Update - Ahh! Drawn a blank. Not a single record with a birth date of 27 September 1889/1891.
Allonby, Burns, Ibison, Park

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Using FindMyPast for Catholic Parish Registers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
The free trial that FindMyPast offer is for 14 days.

The 1939 register is only available with an annual subscription. To my knowledge it has never been included in their other offers.  Some county libraries have FindMyPast available and you can view the 1939 then.

Make sure that you have unticked the auto renew on FindMyPast and check it again before the offer expires.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 22:46 BST (UK) »
Who are you looking for? The parish records are there and can be searched.

You also need to remember that most Catholic registers will be in Latin so you'll need to use Latin Christian names 😀

Also, i agree with Rosie re the FindMyPast trial, always 14 days and 1939 register not included.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 22:55 BST (UK) »
Who are you looking for? The parish records are there and can be searched.

You also need to remember that most Catholic registers will be in Latin so you'll need to use Latin Christian names 😀

Also, i agree with Rosie re the FindMyPast trial, always 14 days and 1939 register not included.

Unfortunately I'm looking for someone who almost certainly changed his name to 'James Devauden' some time before the 1911 census. All I have is a date of birth of 27 Sept in either 1889 or 1891, and I don't know his birth name; a bit of a problem really. The Latin records are not a problem.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 23:01 BST (UK) »
Not an easy task then! Catholics were usually baptised very quickly after birth so even though the records are recorded by baptism date you shouldn't have to look too far.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi did he have a middle initial "M" and live in the vicinity of Kingston upon Hull?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi did he have a middle initial "M" and live in the vicinity of Kingston upon Hull?
Keyboard86

Looks a good possibility 😀

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 23:24 BST (UK) »
Keyboard86

Looks a good possibility 😀

Yes, James Matthew Devauden, lived in Hull in 1939. A devout catholic who, according to the 1911 census, was born in Leamington (I assume Leamington Spa). However, it's almost certain that some time before 1911, when he would be 21/22, he changed from his birth name to James Devauden. Given this problem, and that his DoB seems to be 27 Sep, I thought I might find a person with this DoB in the catholic baptism registers for Leamington Spa. Unfortunately there was nothing.