Author Topic: Cholera 1848-49  (Read 2267 times)

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cholera 1848-49
« on: Wednesday 16 August 17 23:00 BST (UK) »
How much did the 1848-49 cholera epidemic affect Fulham? I've read Ghost Map, 2006, which dwells on Lambeth. My g.g. grandparents disappear from records after the unrecorded birth of my g. grandmother and I wonder if they perished in the epidemic. Their names were Elizabeth and Joseph Pickard. Their children are in Fulham's workhouse in 1851.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cholera 1848-49
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 August 17 11:31 BST (UK) »
I don't know about cholera epidemic specifically but we could have a check for deaths.

Who were the children in the workhouse and who was the unrecorded great grandmother?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 August 17 12:10 BST (UK) »
There doesn't appear to be a death registration for Joseph Pickard, within the various London Registration Districts, between 1848 and 1852.

There is one record for Elizabeth Pickard - December quarter 1851 - in St Pancras District, but she is aged 1.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 August 17 23:49 BST (UK) »
I am more interested in knowing if Fulham was in the epidemic. East London was not, for example.

g. grandmother, I have determined was illegitimate and therefore not recorded: Elizabeth Pickard,
b. about 1846. The other two were half-siblings. Elizabeth appears at her uncle's home in 1861 as a visitor.

Do you know what age workhouse children were discharged?

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 August 17 04:50 BST (UK) »
http://www.ph.ucla.edu/epi/snow/publichealth118_387_394_2004.pdf

This article has a table on page three detailing mortality rates from cholera in 1849.  It shows Lambeth at 120 deaths per 10,000 compared to the combined Hammersmith, Brompton, Kensington and Fulham rate of 33 per 10,000.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 August 17 07:18 BST (UK) »
Surely though, even knowing if there was a cholera outbreak in Fulham it does not necessarily follow that they died from cholera and this is the reason the children were in the workhouse?  :-\

The parents could have died from any number of causes ... only their death certificates will tell you for sure ...

Have you widened the net to look for the parents further afield? Perhaps they could not afford to keep the children and placed them in the workhouse? (I vaguely recall an episode of WDYTYA where this happened). Some people were in and out of the workhouse on a regular basis.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 August 17 10:35 BST (UK) »
I've just been reading one of your previous threads on this family and it seems pretty clear that the father of the Pickard boys was John Samuel Pickard who married Elizabeth Bush Harris in Fulham in 1836. He appears to have died in 1840 aged 36.

Elizabeth's sister Lucy Harris married William Hare in 1859 and they are the aunt and uncle with whom young Elizabeth Pickard is staying in 1861 (at the Three Fishes in Kingston).

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=582511

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 August 17 10:48 BST (UK) »
young Elizabeth Pickard is staying in 1861 (at the Three Fishes in Kingston).

Transcribed on ancestry as Rokhard  ;D

If she marries Israel Wickens in 1866 (where one of the witnesses is William Hare) she names her father as Joseph Samuel Pickard an omnibus proprietor.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 August 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
I think mother Elizabeth is with shoemaker Samuel Wilson from Norfolk in the 1851 census, at 5 Church Street, Chelsea. They have a visitor, Albert Pickard, aged 6.

Elizabeth Pickard, coach proprietor is in Church Street, Fulham in the 1841 census. Possibly the same street?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk