Author Topic: Cholera 1848-49  (Read 2265 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cholera 1848-49
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 August 17 11:57 BST (UK) »
I think mother Elizabeth is with shoemaker Samuel Wilson from Norfolk in the 1851 census, at 5 Church Street, Chelsea. They have a visitor, Albert Pickard, aged 6.

Elizabeth Pickard, coach proprietor is in Church Street, Fulham in the 1841 census. Possibly the same street?

Albert Pickard named his father as Samuel Pickard, coachman, when he married Maria Linge in Stepney in 1869.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 August 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
As posted by ShaunJ in 1841 Elizabeth is in Church St with the following

Sarah Pickard 4
John Pickard 3
Samuel Pickard 1

Birth for John has mothers name Bush but Samuel I can't find to cross reference even though BMD has a Samuel Joseph Jun 1840  ???
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 August 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
Milliepede - do have a read through the other thread and see what's been found already

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=582511
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 August 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
Good suggestion I will do  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 August 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
I had forgotten I was on the old thread.

So to summarise where things seem to have got to:

John Samuel Pickard died in Kensington district in 1840 aged 36, having fathered Sarah (bc1837), John (b1838), Lucy (b1839, d1841) and Samuel Joseph (b1840).

His widow Elizabeth nee Elizabeth Bush Harris (marr 1836 Fulham) continued having children in the Fulham area after 1840 (Albert/Alfred and Elizabeth, both born mid-1840s, no birth regs or baptisms found).

Elizabeth Pickard snr was with Norfolk-born Samuel Wilson by 1851 and later settled with him (as Elizabeth Wilson, "wife") in the Thetford area, where they can be found in 1861 and 1871. 

Their possible deaths:
Elizabeth Wilson aged 73, Jun qtr 1880 Thetford
Samuel Wilson aged 71, Mar qtr 1881 Thetford

As ShaunJ has said, cholera in the late 1840s doesn't seem to have been a factor for this family.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 August 17 03:26 BST (UK) »

Thank you, all, for your assistance. While I would never assert that cholera killed the Pickards, it is a greater possibility than a freak death. I don't believe mother Elizabeth married Joseph after she became a "proprietress." Joe used her omnibus for them both and the two had Elizabeth. Replying to your comments: The Pickcard family does not seem destitute. Yet, they disappear and daug. Elizabeth [unrecorded birth] and siblings turn up in the workhouse.  Unless Joe moved out of London, what else but death? If you can find a death certificate, please inform me. I searched physically many years ago when that was possible, and since on the computer, with no luck. There are several Pickcard families in London at this time that appear unrelated. None owns an omnibus, nor is Packard cited as a London omnibus owner in a recording of owners. I think searching out the shoemaker is worthwhile. But to verify it we have to find mother Eliz.'s parish  birth somewhere about 1807 [80-73]. Any suggestions?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 August 17 09:01 BST (UK) »
we have to find mother Eliz.'s parish  birth somewhere about 1807

Elizabeth Bush Harris was baptised in Frankton on December 31, 1807. Residence "Hill" in the parish of "Stonely". Daughter of William Harris and Elizabeth.

This tallies with Elizabeth "Wilson " with the shoemaker in the 1851 Chelsea census (born Hill, Warwickshire) and in the 1861 Thetford census (born Stoneleigh, Warwickshire).

The register image is viewable on familysearch if you sign in.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 August 17 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your help. I think that you have uncovered quite a life story in Eliz. #1.
Three questions:
1. Who could I write to see if Church Street in Fulham and in Chelsea were connected and the name of the street today, as Google maps claims it is nonexistent?
2. The dictionary says that a victualler is someone who ships bulk food or an innkeeper. Using the term Three Fishes, can I assume it to be an inn? Any street location?
3. Concerning the comment that Bush was John's mother's maiden name, have you come upon any woman who took her mother-in-law's maiden name for her own middle name? Is it unique?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 August 17 00:24 BST (UK) »

1. Who could I write to see if Church Street in Fulham and in Chelsea were connected and the name of the street today, as Google maps claims it is nonexistent?

Look at the family in both the 1841 census and the 1851 census and check the enumerator's route.

Page one of each census will give a description of the route.

Find the family in each census and look at the neighbouring streets by scrolling through the pages in the census which will give you more detail of streetnames, and possibly some landmarks.

You may have to scroll through numerous pages - I generally jot the addresses down on paper.

Using surrounding street names to put it in context, then move onto the NLS side by side maps to find the exact location.

Added: looking at this map:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.976773581872667&lat=51.4837&lon=-0.1717&layers=168&right=BingHyb
.... it seems that what is now Old Church Street in Chelsea, was once called (just) Church Street.
Scroll up the map to see the street name written on the old map.

"Three Fishes" does sound like a pub. Once again, locate the person at this address on the census, and see who else is living there - it is likely you will get an indication from their occupations, others living there etc. Look at the neighbouring streets and enumerator's route to narrow down the exact location.