Author Topic: Lizzie Alexandra Legg/e. Missing after US arrival in 1909. Help please.  (Read 2402 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lizzie Alexandra Legg/e. Missing after US arrival in 1909. Help please.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 August 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
Looks like you can get a free copy of that Elizabeth's obituary from this site:  http://more.ppld.org:8080/SpecialCollections/index/article_search.asp

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 August 17 23:10 BST (UK) »
I found the obit for Samuel who died 1960.  No mention of Elizabeth, but it says he was born Londonderry 28 Sep. 1884, was a resident of the Colorado Springs area since 1912, was member of St. Mary's Catholic Church, and was survived by wife Anna and a brother David of Los Angeles.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 August 17 23:22 BST (UK) »
Just a one liner.

Colorado Springs Gazette
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Thursday, November 09, 1922

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 00:07 BST (UK) »
It looked like there was another one from the next day on the index, so maybe that has more detail.

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 22:32 BST (UK) »

Jorose, Shellyesq and RJ137,

Wow, I can’t believe it!

I never thought that Lizzie would be coming out of the too hard basket, so thanks for all your hard work.  I am very grateful for the clues you found.  The next few hours will be spent following up on all your finds. They may be the breakthroughs I needed in finding my Lizzie.

Kind  regards,
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 23:52 BST (UK) »
I don't think this has been mentioned; my apologies if it has

Colorado Naturalization Records
Samuel James Stewart, born September 28, 1884, Moneymore, Derry, Ireland...was married to "Helen Stewart" (now deceased) December 26, 1923, Colorado Springs, Colo.  Last place of foreign residence was Cookstown, Co. Tyrone, Ireland.
Arrived November 14, 1920, on the SS Imperator....Dated November 26, 1940

New York Passenger List
Imperator arrived New York, New York 13 November 1920.
Samuel Stewart, age 37, Engin?, 5'9", "fsh" complexion, black hair, blue eyes
Elizabeth A Stewart, age 40, H'Wife,  5'8", "sull" complexion, black hair, blue eyes
Last address: Cookstown, Ireland.  Stayed with Mrs. M Stewart (Samuel's mother), Drumeen, Moneymore.  Headed to Denver, Colorado
Had been in the US from 1910 to 1919 in Colorado.  Going to (friend) Spencer Penrose, Colorado Springs.
Elizabeth was born Carrickfergus, Ireland
Samuel was born Moneymore, Ireland

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 00:03 BST (UK) »
Possibility for the 1919 sailing?
Scandinavian sailed from Montreal, Quebec, Canada arrived Liverpool, England 14 July 1919
Stewart, Elizabeth, European address: Trelnagh?  :-\, Moneymore, Co. Londonderry, wife, age 40?, country of last permanent address: Canada.
Three lines down from her entry
Stewart, Samuel J., ?relnagh, Moneymore, Londonderry.  Cannot read occupation, looks like Farmer?, age 36.  Country of last permanent address: USA
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 01:19 BST (UK) »
I have searched http://more.ppld.org:8080/SpecialCollections/index/article_search.asp for Elizabeth A Stewart’s free obituary and found this one below.

Article ID:   580056
Headline:   Elizabeth A. Stewart
Date/Pub/Sec:   11/10/1922, Gazette, 12:2

It may have told me more than the simple one sentence that RJ137 found published on the previous day. The full text was not available so I needed to order it. Unfortunately the Pikes Peak Library District order form requires a PPLD Library Card or a ZIP Code. As I do not live in the USA I can’t fulfill this requirement. 

It was interesting that the Stewart family in the 1909 and 1911 Ireland census was Presbyterian yet the Samuel Stewart who died in 1960 Colorado Springs was a member of a Catholic Church. My Lizzie would have been a Presbyterian.

As I was typing this up I see further information has come in. I need to clear my head and gather my thoughts before I reply to them. I spotted the town of Carrickfergus mentioned along with Elizabeth. This suggests that we have my Lizzie.

Kind regards,
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
USA:

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
Lisa in California
Thank you so much for the information regarding the 1919/1920 passenger lists to and from the UK of Samuel and Elizabeth Stewart. I now know that they arrived back in Ireland in July, 1919 and went to stay with Samuel’s family in the Londonderry area.

They have returned after an extended stay in Ireland in late 1920 arriving in New York 13 November. The passenger list where Elizabeth was recorded as being born in Carrickfergus has me almost certain I’ve found Lizzie. My Lizzie grew up in the Carrickfergus area but, sadly, all her siblings and parents were deceased by then.

It seems that Samuel and Elizabeth must not have had any children. They would not have been able to leave children, 18 years or less, behind in the US whilst they spent such a long time in Ireland. 

I can’t believe that with the help of Rootschatters the brick wall is almost certainly down.

Kind regards,
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
USA: