Author Topic: Lizzie Alexandra Legg/e. Missing after US arrival in 1909. Help please.  (Read 2398 times)

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Lizzie Alexandra Legg/e. Missing after US arrival in 1909. Help please.
« on: Thursday 17 August 17 00:58 BST (UK) »
Lizzie Alexandra Legg was born in January, 1873 and registered in Belfast, Ireland to John Legg and Jane Legg, nee Moore.

Further details known about Lizzie follows -

The 1901 Census of Ireland has Lizzie A Legge, aged 27yrs, is living with her widowed father, John Legge, a farmer, in Crossmary, Templecorran, Antrim.

In 14 May 1905 a Lizzie Alexander (sic) Legg aged 31yr 4mth, of Belfast, is booked to travel from Liverpool to New York on the ship, Cedric.  The record states that she was going to a friend,( actually a Moore cousin) living in Sedro Woolley, Washington State. The entry has been crossed out so I presume that Lizzie cancelled the booking.

In 1909 a Lizzie Legge and Jenie Wisnom left Liverpool for New York arriving on 25 April. Their travel details state they were travelling to San Mateo, California.  Jenie, a clerk, 23yr, going to her sister, Minnie Wisnom, Lizzie was going to a cousin, Mrs Ridges, 443 Wisnom Ave, San Mateo. Lizzies's father was John Legg, Crossmary, and Jenie's mother, Mary Wisnom    -------   Horse, Whitehead.

The 1909 arrival in the USA is the last information about Lizzie that I am certain about. I need help in finding what became of her after that date. She had relations in California and Washington State so I am hoping she remained in the USA .  No evidence of her returning to her home in Antrim, Ireland has been found.

Searching has thrown up the following possibilities below.

In the US Census 1910 the nearest possible person who could be our Lizzie Legg in California is an
Elizabeth A Lugge, born Ireland 1875,Township 2, San Mateo, a servant for a couple named John and Clara Coleman. Unfortunately no year of immigration was recorded.
Did Lizzie upgrade her name to Elizabeth in the USA?

Lizzie/Elizabeth could not be found anywhere in the 1920 US Census, nor could I find a California or Washington State death. The other possibility was a marriage found in the San Mateo County marriage index 1853 to 1948.

On 21 Dec 1910 an Elizabeth A Legge, 31yrs married a Samuel Stewart aged 26. If this is my Lizzie then she has stretched the truth as to her age.

This marriage clue has drawn a blank as I haven’t been able to locate the married Elizabeth and Samuel Stewart anywhere in order to confirm or otherwise that Elizabeth Stewart is my Lizzie.

I am now facing a brick wall. I would be grateful for any help to find out what became of Lizzie.

Regards,
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lizzie Alexandra Legg/e. Missing after US arrival in 1909. Help please.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 August 17 07:39 BST (UK) »
I'm just starting to have a look around so I'm rounding up the facts.   ;)

In 1909 a Lizzie Legge and Jenie Wisnom left Liverpool for New York arriving on 25 April. Their travel details state they were travelling to San Mateo, California.  Jenie, a clerk, 23yr, going to her sister, Minnie Wisnom, Lizzie was going to a cousin, Mrs Ridges, 443 Wisnom Ave, San Mateo. Lizzies's father was John Legg, Crossmary, and Jenie's mother, Mary Wisnom    -------   Horse, Whitehead.

...Horse, Whitehead could be
1 Rathlin? House, Whitehead

Mrs. Ridges most likely was related to
Hugh Ridges, Carpenter, 443 Wisnom Avenue, San Mateo (no date shown other than 1900-1912)

A family tree has
Hugh Ridges married Jane Wisnom (1858-1885); she was born in Carnbrock, Antrim, Ireland.  He also married Maggie Cameron (1869- ) and also Minnie (1876- ); she was born in Northern Ireland.

In the US Census 1910 the nearest possible person who could be our Lizzie Legg in California is an
Elizabeth A Lugge, born Ireland 1875,Township 2, San Mateo, a servant for a couple named John and Clara Coleman. Unfortunately no year of immigration was recorded.
Did Lizzie upgrade her name to Elizabeth in the USA?

The address for the above entry appears to be 333 A Street, Township 2, San Mateo County.  Looking rather quickly at a "current" map, there doesn't appear to be an A Street in the city of San Mateo, but there is a North B Street, which is slightly over one mile away from 443 Wisnom Avenue.  The addresses are rather close - could Lizzie have found a nearby place to live in 1910? 

It's getting late here; I hope to resume tomorrow morning.  Perhaps by then, someone else may have found something helpful?  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 August 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
Is this the same Lizzie?  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FG5Y-GQ7  If so, is Robinson a transcription error?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 August 17 12:08 BST (UK) »
Is this the same Lizzie?  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FG5Y-GQ7  If so, is Robinson a transcription error?

Birth registration: Lizzie Alexandra Legg born 27 Jan.1873, parents John Legg & Jane Moore-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1873/03213/2178473.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 August 17 23:36 BST (UK) »
shellyesq and aghadowey,

I cannot be certain as to the date of Lizzie’s birth, as apart from having the correct names for her parents, there are discrepancies between both records found. All of Lizzie’s older siblings births were registered in Larne. The parents, (father being a spirit dealer or farmer), living in Crossmary, Kilroot.
The irishgenealogy.ie image of the Lizzie Alexandra Legg birth is odd due to the place of birth, father’s occupation and signing using a mark. The Familysearch one does not have an image for me to check. The birth dates recorded in both the records found online differ. One 27 Jan and the other 22 Jan 1873. I have no idea as to where the middle name Robinson came from unless it was associated with the Legg side of her family.

Lisa in California,

Yes, Mrs Ridges was related to Hugh Ridges. Lizzie’s cousin was formerly, Sarah Jane Moore and was married to Hugh Ridges Jnr. They ran a dairy in San Mateo. Hugh’s mother was a Wisnom.
Thank you for the information regarding the address that Elizabeth A Lugge was living at in the 1910 Census. The closeness to her cousin’s address has me thinking it even more likely that Elizabeth A is my Lizzie. I wish there was the year of immigration as that may have clinched it.

I am now thinking more about the possibility Lizzie married the unknown Samuel Stewart. A search for Samuel in the 1910 US Census before his marriage has not found him. He must have been living close to Lizzie in order to meet, unless he was a recent arrival from Antrim that Lizzie already knew.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Kind regards
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
USA:

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 August 17 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi KiwiRose:

I've been looking around for Samuel and Lizzie/Elizabeth and have not had any luck finding them.  (Note:  I've also searched for Stuart spelling.) I did notice on the marriage index that the residence was missing for both of them; they were married in San Mateo.  The majority of the people on the index had residences included; I wonder why the Stewarts didn't.   :-\

Have you been able to track Jenie Wisnom?  Perhaps they left the area together?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 August 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
Lisa in California,

I did try tracking Jenie Wisnom, Lizzie’s travelling companion, when I couldn’t find Lizzie. I was thinking along the same lines as you, but once again had no success. I did check up on Jenie’s Antrim details.  Jenie Wisnom was probably Jane Wisnom born Duffs Hill, Carickfergus, to Joseph (farmer) and Mary Anne Wisnom (formerly McMurtry) on 19 Oct 1884.

I also wonder why no residence for either the bride or groom, Elizabeth Legge and Samuel Stewart, was recorded. Could it be just an error on the transcriber’s part or maybe was it too faint to read? I am grateful though that I did come across the San Mateo marriage index. It is another clue.

Thank you for your continuing help. This last month or so I seemed to be going round in circles trying to find Lizzie.

Kind regards,
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
USA:

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 August 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
Updates in my Lizzie A Legg/e search.

Lizzie’s travelling companion to San Mateo, Jenie (Jane) Wisnom must have returned to her Antrim home between May 1909 and the date of the 1911 Ireland census.  She is listed back with her mother and three siblings in Whitehead (Templecorran).

To eliminate or confirm the Elizabeth A Legge /Samuel Stewart marriage I decided to track the groom as being a recent US arrival, due to being unable to find him in any US Census.

There was a strong contender  in the Ellis Island 1909 arrivals when I found an Irish, farming, single, 25yr old Samuel Stewart, who departed from Londonderry on 13 Nov 1909 on the ship Columbia, arriving 21 Nov in New York. He was travelling to San Mateo, CA to a friend, John Wisnom, Lumber Company.  The Wisnom connection got me really excited. This Samuel had a brother, David in Ireland, and mentioned was the last residence being Moneymore, Tulneg_ll? It was hard to read. Further information on Samuel and a brother, David, in the 1901 Census Ireland proved unsuccessful.

I think I’ve exhausted all possible routes to find Lizzie, or to confirm/eliminate the 1909 marriage, so Lizzie’s search will have to be put aside into the too hard basket for now.

Thank you for all the help and interest from Rootschatters.

Kind regards,
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
USA:

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 August 17 22:24 BST (UK) »
I think Samuel Stewart's brother's residence, and his birthplace, appear to be Tulnagee
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Brackaghslievegallion/Tulnagee/1533627/

"Tullynagee" in 1911:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Brackagh_Slieve_Gallion/Tullynagee/614333/

I think this may be Samuel in Colorado in WWII,
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKC4-ZC1K , born "Moneymore"
Lists his next of kin as Mrs Helen Stewart.
Full name "Samuel James Stewart".

Marriage to Helen, 1923 in Colorado:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KNQP-DRP

In 1918 he was also in Colorado, and nearest relative was Mrs Elizabeth Stewart
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZKX-JH9

Samuel J. Stewart died 1960 in the same region, apparently buried with Elizabeth A Stewart:
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=20889998
Elizabeth A Stewart's dates in the same cemetery are 1879-1922:
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=35152756
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk