Author Topic: Help translate Latin - Chester Probate Act book 1690  (Read 1047 times)

Offline karen58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help translate Latin - Chester Probate Act book 1690
« on: Thursday 17 August 17 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
Hoping that someone can help translate the below. I understand what many of the words mean, but google translate doesn't help with sentence structure and you end up with just a list of words. 

Administratio Bonorum &c Margaretae Platt nuper de Saddleworth viduae defunctae Exhibitum &c Et Commissa fuit Thomae Platt Filio &c datâ Cautione &c prius jurato &c Salvo &c Et habet Terminum ad Exhibendum Inventarium

Cheers
Karen
Platts & Scholefields; Saddleworth
Winterbottoms; Saddleworth and Huddersfield
Pitchforths; Halifax and Huddersfield

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help translate Latin - Chester Probate Act book 1690
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 August 17 10:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry - don't have time for a detailed translation but the gist of it is this:

It's a record of an Administration (when there was no will) relating to the late Margaret Platt of Saddleworth, widow, and it was granted to her son Thomas Platt. Most of it is standard legal phraseology (hence all the &c's), and these are the only parts with anything personal to your family.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 August 17 11:13 BST (UK) »
To support Arthur’s reply ...

Administration of the goods etc. of Margaret Platt, lately of Saddleworth, widow, deceased, (exhibitum) etc., and was granted to Thomas Platt, son etc., security having been given and he first having been sworn etc., saving etc., and he has a terminal date for presenting the inventory.

Exhibitum (meaning 'presented') would be unusual here, and the -um ending doesn’t fit the syntax. Has it perhaps been mistranscribed? It’s always best to post an image, as previously advised.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 August 17 14:21 BST (UK) »
Exhibitum (meaning 'presented') would be unusual here, and the -um ending doesn’t fit the syntax. Has it perhaps been mistranscribed? It’s always best to post an image, as previously advised.

It's "Exhibendum" - a gerund? And I think the last word will be Inventorium.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 August 17 14:26 BST (UK) »

It's "Exhibendum" - a gerund? And I think the last word will be Inventorium.

I was referring to Exhibitum as given in the first line.

If it qualifies Administratio it should be exhibita, so either the contraction has been expanded wrongly, or it's a different word.

This is a perfect illustration of why it is better to post an original image.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 August 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
I was referring to Exhibitum as given in the first line.
Aaagh! Very sorry, still flitting from one thing to another and didn't check back the whole of the original post.  :-[

Offline karen58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 August 17 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hello arthurk & Bookbox

Thank you for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Sorry that I don't have a copy of the original document. The transcription was given to me. Have not been able to acquire a copy of the original, otherwise I would have attached it.

Warm regards
Karen
Platts & Scholefields; Saddleworth
Winterbottoms; Saddleworth and Huddersfield
Pitchforths; Halifax and Huddersfield

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 August 17 18:34 BST (UK) »
No matter - you have the essence of it anyway. :)

I have to differ from Arthur on the matter of inventarium, which is the usual spelling (not -orium, despite the modern English).

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 August 17 18:57 BST (UK) »
I have to differ from Arthur on the matter of inventarium, which is the usual spelling (not -orium, despite the modern English).
Aaagh (again)  :-[! It's one of those words I tend to translate instantly in my head without always checking what the exact spelling is, or should be.

(Though to be fair, my copy of C.T. Martin's "The Record Interpreter" does give both the -a- and -o- forms, but without saying which is correct or commoner. What are my chances of convincing you that I looked at it before writing any of my earlier replies...?  ;D)