Author Topic: South Shields circa 1900 - a city or a string of villages?  (Read 2005 times)

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South Shields circa 1900 - a city or a string of villages?
« on: Thursday 17 August 17 09:30 BST (UK) »
I'll hide behind the excuse that I am a Kiwi who has never been to the UK and knows nothing about the home of my grandparents save for what I can extract from the internet. I'm going to ask a very naive question and I hope you will be patient with me, for the reason I have stated.

As I look at the census forms for South Shields, and look at photographs of the area as it was a century ago, I get the feeling of a city nearly as big as the metropolis on the opposite bank of the river. But is this correct? Sometimes it seems that Hebburn and Jarrow and Monkton and Westoe are all distinct communities - villages - and the name South Shields describes a region rather than a city. Which is it? Or more precisely, which WAS it in the late nineteenth, early twentieth centuries?

Your comments appreciated.
Thanks
-David C

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: South Shields circa 1900 - a city or a string of villages?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 August 17 14:42 BST (UK) »
I offer the following from the standpoint of an outsider but with a family interest and involvement-my wife's grandfather was Mayor in 1921/22. I have referred to the South Shields Centenary Booklet published in 1950 by the Corporation.

Although a garrison town at the time of the Romans (Arbeia Fort) the growth of South Shields did not develop greatly until the early 1800s. It was always in the shadow of its neighbour up the river-Newcastle upon Tyne.

A map prepared for the Gentlemen Bretheren of  Trinity House "Newcastle uppon Tyne" of 1693 shows South Sheelds on the southern bank of the Tyne with indications along the shore of saltpans, and names of settlements such as Iarro and Haburn Key.

It would seem that the influence of the Newcastle authorities imposed restrictions on the good folk of Shields in utilising the natural assets of the Tyne.

The main industry was probably saltmaking from the saltpans along the shore and then in 1650 a glassworks was opened. The first shipyard was started in 1720 as did John Cookson's chemical works.

As regards the settlements it would seem that Westoe villlage was the residential area for the better off and the local businessmen.

The first signs of heavier industries came with the opening of the Templtown Colliery in 1810 followed by the more famous St Hilda's in 1825, and then in 1844 Harton, by which time coal staithes had been built along the shoreline for loading the ships with coal for export.
Two more collieries followed at The Bents (Westoe) and Whitburn further south along the North Sea coast.

Around 1850 the Tyne Dock was developed which enabled larger ships to use the port facilities.
In the late 1800s the vast areas of housing were developed in Tyne Dock, Laygate and Westoe.
In 1850 the town was incorporated as a Borough and in 1885 as a County Borough.
Into the twentieth century the town expanded southwards into Harton village and the Cleadon area and in 1946 the Council announced plans for building over 2000 houses.

The population in 1891 was around 79,000.

As I said these are impressions gleaned from rather infrequent visits, family discussions and reference to the publication noted. Apologies if my views are found to be short of the mark, but hope you find this of some interest.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 August 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
Have a look at this, which shows modern and old views of the same area:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=13&lat=54.9987&lon=-1.4322&layers=1&right=BingHyb

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 August 17 15:09 BST (UK) »
If you go to Kelly's Directory of Durham, 1914 at http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p16445coll4/id/8906/rec/11 and select page 354 in the right hand list you will get a full description of South Shields and its history.
This link might not work in Firefox but does in Chrome.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 August 17 03:57 BST (UK) »
Wow, tonnes to read now....

thanks to everyone that contributed. I'm going to be busy for a while.

-DC

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 August 17 04:37 BST (UK) »
The South Shields Registration District (BMD's) is attached.

I was sitting in a South Shields restaurant with my American wife (born in Mississippi, raised in Florida) and she asked me what the ruins were on the Northumberland north side of the River Tyne. The restaurant being on the south Durham side. I should have known but I asked the waiter who replied that he did not know because he was from Hebburn. A minute later my wife questioned me in her American Southern accident and said is he from H-E-A-V-E-N ?

Read some Catherine Cookson books. She was from that area, Tyne Dock, South Shields. 

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/south%20shields.html

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 August 17 07:42 BST (UK) »
in answer to your original question south shields is not a city! it was and still is to a small degree a fishing port.  as with all places growing over time the green areas are less defining as homes and factories get built,

you can see from the maps how things changed over the years from what it was back in the 1880s to now by changing the dates on this link

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=54.9818&lon=-1.4334&layers=171&right=BingHyb

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 06:54 BST (UK) »
I lived opposite a Coulson family in the 1960's in Harton village. They ran the local taxi business. I wonder if they were related to you?
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,