Author Topic: Norah Hawkins and James Mackenzie  (Read 1065 times)

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Norah Hawkins and James Mackenzie
« on: Thursday 17 August 17 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hello,
 I am trying to find information about Norah Hawkins who married James Mackenzie. I am not sure of the best board to post in, but as she died in Gloucestershire I thought perhaps here.
 Norah was born in Belfast, 1876, daughter of Henry Hawkins and Margaret Ruxton. Her father died in 1884.
 In 1891, she is living in Aberdeen with her mother, likewise in the 1901 census.
There is a record of her having arrived in Liverpool from America in 1892, so presumably had gone on a holiday there. Another passenger record is from 1912 when she left London for India. She was married sometime between 1901 and 1912 as the passenger list has her as Mrs Norah Mackenzie.
 She died in Cheltenham on 24 Feb 1947, where newspaper reports confirmed who she was (her sister was Mrs O St John Skeen (maiden name Mabel Hawkins).
 I can not find any trace of Norah's marriage or if she had any children, and I was wondering if someone might be able to help.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Norah Hawkins and James Mackenzie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 August 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
Do you know where James was in 1901?  Wondering if they married in Scotland. 

If she was in Gloucestershire on the 1939 register it might give other family names to follow up.

Also if she left a will it might mention children. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 August 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
No sign of a marriage in Scotland between 1901 and 1912 - well not on Scotlandspeople anyway.

1939 she's a widow in Cheltenham with sister Mabel and Mabel's daughter Kathleen.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 August 17 14:06 BST (UK) »
Looks like the two sisters lived together, death for Mabel in Cheltenham 1948 has the same address as Norah - 19 Cambray Court Cheltenham.  Both were widows. 

Mabel married in India 1905 so that's probably why Norah was going there in 1912.

Was she on the passenger list alone or with her husband in 1912?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 August 17 19:13 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry - which states, Norah HAWKINS birth 9 January 1876, Belfast, Antrim, Northern Ireland (death unknown)

+ siblings, this gives the parents as : Alexander HAWKINS and Margaret Bruce RUXTON

(links on Ancestry to Marriage: 8 January 1870 at Foveran, Aberdeen, Alexander HAWKINS and Margaret Bruce RUXTON)

and gives Margaret Bruce HAWKINS death: as 19 February 1939 : Cheltenham

Ancestry :  Probate

HAWKINS, Margaret Bruce of 18 Chambray Court, Cheltenham Widow, died 19 January 1939
at Douro Nursing Home, Cheltenham.  Adm (with Will) London 19 May to Mabel SKEEN Widow.
Effects: £177 5s 7d.

---

Had a very quick look at Ancestry : as they do have Cheltenham Electoral Rolls and can see Mabel SKEEN there in 1920 onwards -  - Margaret Bruce HAWKINS joins her in 1923 at Malvern Road, Landsdown Court, but Norah doesn't join  Mabel until 1939.  The 1938 Electoral shows, just shows, Margaret Bruce HAWKINS and Mabel SKEEN.

In 1932, HAWKINS, Margaret Bruce, SKEEN Mabel + SKEEN Kathleen Mary St John are at Landsdown Terrace -

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 August 17 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information so far. I wonder if they married in India.