Author Topic: Newcastle Evening Chronicle death notice look up please  (Read 3324 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle Evening Chronicle death notice look up please
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 August 17 13:04 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't necessarily place huge significance on the other person in the property. I suspect that they were simply houses in multiple occupation.

The last electoral register on which I can find Ida was dated 1959, and her address was 26 Albion Buildings, Byker.

Do let us know when you get the death certificate.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 August 17 13:58 BST (UK) »
OK, I wasn't sure if I could divulge the '39 info on this board.

So - the only other person living at the property is a Charlotte Baker, born in 1906. Different schedule number, she's single, a fried fish shop assistant.

Ida Frances Brown married George Delafield Brown in 1903.  Their two children were born in 1905 and 1908.  The above lady was born in between, so what I am wondering is, why is Ida Frances living in a property, still a widow bearing the name Brown, and with no visible means of support? Were pension incomes counted as such, eg annuity? Could this other woman have a relationship with Ida of some sort?  I've checked other sources and she was born Charlotte Baker, in Newcastle upon Tyne.

I don't normally grasp at straws when trying to research my family tree, but Ida Frances is such a puzzle .....

The 1911 Census doesn't appear to show her in Newcastle, though.

Regards.

Pearce, Davies, Mulhall, Jesse, Savage.

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 August 17 14:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks, JenB, for the electoral register info.

best regards.

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hello

Just received the death certificate for Ida Brown!

She died in Newcastle General Hospital, Wingrove.
It gives her address, prior to going into hospital.

The informant, their surname and address is different and in that box it says "causing the body to be buried", not sure why that would be written like that (is that normal?), but now I guess I will be able to find out where she was buried!
Is it possible to find out what relationship the informant was to her?

Any advice would be much appreciated if you have any for me at this stage!

Regards and thanks

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 17:21 BST (UK) »
The informant, their surname and address is different and in that box it says "causing the body to be buried", not sure why that would be written like that (is that normal?), but now I guess I will be able to find out where she was buried!

'Causing the body to be buried' is a standard phrase. It is the last in a list qualifications required for a person to be the informant on a death certificate.

From the 1953 Births and Deaths Registration Act http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~framland/acts/1953Act.htm
17.-(1) The following provisions of this section shall have effect where a person dies elsewhere than in a house or where a dead body is found and no information as to the place of death is available.
(2) The following persons shall be qualified to give information concerning the death, that is to say-
(a) any relative of the deceased who has knowledge of any of the particulars required to be registered concerning the death ;
(b) any person present at the death ;
(c) any person finding or taking charge of the body ;
(d) any person causing the disposal of the body.

A death is usually registered by next-of-kin or a relative. If this is not possible then whoever is  dealing with the funeral arrangements can register the death. This could range from the executor of any will, a solicitor, a friend, a neighbour, a member of the clergy or a member of staff at the hospital where the person died.

The use of this phrase makes it unlikely that the person who registered Ida's death was a relative.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
What date did she die?  If you can supply this I would be able to look up death notice which will likely give information about burial.

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 18:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your information to you both

The date she died was 11th January 1962, it was registered on the 12th

Kind regards

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 18:25 BST (UK) »
What date did she die?  If you can supply this I would be able to look up death notice which will likely give information about burial.

Let's hope you're in luck now you've got a date to work on  :D

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 18:48 BST (UK) »
I am so sorry, I have checked the Evening Chronicles of that period but the print on the microfilmed pages is abysmal for the death notices.  I have asked the staff if they have the original papers but they do not have the ones for this period of time. 

Was her home address 6 Tyndale or Tynedale?  There is a memoriam notice the next year starting with 'In Memory of my dear Mother...  This was from daughter Margaret, George etc. Does this sound familiar?  If so I will send.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner